Just got my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squidward

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i just got this 75 gl tank last nite . I might have asked this before but when i do the move from my 36 gl over i have to premix the water and can i add the full amount of water in my 36 over

yeah you can, just dont bring the old sand over, unless it never had fish.

and you can add fish once your cycle is done in the 75

You let it cycle until it's done. You need to do research on cycling a tank. Your ammonia and nitrItes need to be at a consistent zero, and your nitrAtes below twenty. It normally takes from four weeks to more. There is no definite cycle time, each tank is different. Do your research on this. There's even a thread on here called Cycling For Dummies that is well written. That should help you.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

I'm coming in this fresh. Are you completely moving filters etc from the 36 to the 75 gallon? If that is the case, then there should be little to no cycle. If you are leaving the 36 active and start the 75 then you will have to cycle completely. I will need to know more about your plans on the move before the answer can be more definitive.

Oh, oops, I forgot about the moving stuff. If you weren't doing the moving over than the cycle would be like that, but with moving stuff over it shouldn't take long at all.

In loving memory of Pansa Princess, the greatest horse who ever lived. May you rest in peace.

Yea im jus moveing the filter rt over to the 75 i wanted to know if the extra 30 something gl i need to mix will b fine if added to the existing water

As long as the parameters match, it will be fine. Just think of it as a PWC except not really ;).

Depends -- If you have a nice big healthy colony in your filter media and keep it fed with pure ammonia it could be as fast as a week or it could take a few weeks. Test it daily and keep an eye on it.

Yeah there would be a mini cycle but he isn't going to set up the new tank, move over the filters and let it sit for a week with everything in the old tank and no filter. If it were me, I'd move everything over (except the sand) and then just carefully watch the parameters so if they get anything too bad do a PWC. Honestly though, the vast majority of the beneficial bacteria is on the filter media (yes there is some on the glass and sand) so I think everything will go smoothly.

Oh, do you have live rock as well? That would further minimize any mini cycles.

Bettababe1011 said:
You let it cycle until it's done. You need to do research on cycling a tank. Your ammonia and nitrItes need to be at a consistent zero, and your nitrAtes below twenty. It normally takes from four weeks to more. There is no definite cycle time, each tank is different. Do your research on this. There's even a thread on here called Cycling For Dummies that is well written. That should help you.

In every respect I changed tanks and did all in 1 day and my fish gave been fine eversince..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Dobbin said:
In every respect I changed tanks and did all in 1 day and my fish gave been fine eversince..

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Yes, but in a post after that I said how I had missed the changing over part somehow. I corrected myself, so you don't need to do it again.

Yea i had read it thank you also for the advise im in the process of re staining the stand rt now the tank is clean i should b doing the move by monday

Back
Top Bottom