Just Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason14

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been searching the forums looking for anyone who has purchased LR from "Just Live Rock". I couldn't find any. Has anyone had dealings with Just Live Rock, both good or bad. I currently have an order placed with them but now I am becoming quite concerned. I actually called them to ask about their shipping information. I was told that if ordered by Monday afternoon it would ship same day and would arrive Wednesday morning. After not receiving the product on Wednesday I tried calling multiple timed throughout the day and leaving messages. Finally, someone called me back THURSDAY afternoon and said the order shipped on Wednesday and should arrive Friday. OK no big deal with that. But after I obtained the tracking# I discovered that the order didn't ship until THURSAY afternoon and would not arrive until TUESDAY. Thats like 5-6 days in transit. YIKES. Once I found this out I have been unable to reach anyone on the phone and have gotten no responses to my emails. Just curious, whats the chances the LR will still be usable? Also, when the LR does finally arrive what should I look for as signs of being "dead".

Sorry to hear about all that... the live rock will have some die off on it.. it will need to be cured just like i would suggest doing regardless of when it came in. it will still be good.. just make sure you allow it to recure(if you bought cured) for a short period of time.

I had purchased the uncured rock to begin cycling my tank. Just wanna make sure that I'm still gonna be able to use it for that.

Still good, I would get a 5g bucket and shake and rinse most of the large dead stuff off the rock before you start to cure it.

I would have ti agree with that. I didnt do this and boy, does it leave your tank a MESS! Its brings in tons of stuff you really dont want, nor do you need to cycle your tank. Its just gross die-off that you dont want in the tank.

I would have ti agree with that. I didnt do this and boy, does it leave your tank a MESS! Its brings in tons of stuff you really dont want, nor do you need to cycle your tank. Its just gross die-off that you dont want in the tank.

Haha same thing, I found out the hard way about not curing rock for at least a couple days. It really does leave like nasty brown piles all over the tank and it's just yuck!

Steve

Thanks all. You have really put my mind at ease. I also just received a response to my email and he said just about the same thing.

I am also having trouble.

I'm guessing you bought the rocks because of the good deal they had going ($145 for 50 lbs with free shipping)? I'm getting a little impatient with them myself. I ordered mine last Friday, and I haven't heard anything. I've left a voicemail and I've emailed them a couple of times. They make you feel like they will get it to you fast before you order it, and then they are MIA after they get your money. Now I'm worried mine will be in transit all weekend too. Nothing ever goes as well as I expect when I order online. I thought this would be really fast because I'm in Tampa, and they are out of Miami. Do the rocks look good at least? Was there a lot of purple algae on them? Any chance you could post a picture?

Well, last i checked most of these places never even process the order, let alone ship it when an order was made on friday. Why you ask? Mainly because they dont want the package to go into holding in one of their stations, in case they couldnt get it to you before sunday. This would mean the product would be sitting in the box for more days than it should, and could possibly die. Take it easy, and im sure you will hear from them soon. Have faith in other people. ;)

Well we are going on Wednesday, and I haven't even heard anything yet. This is not was they advertise on thier website. So, needless to say, I'm already disappointed. I didn't expect them to be sent on Friday, but I did expect them to be sent on Monday. Did you read the original post. The person who posted this thread said that his rocks were in transit for like 5 days because they weren't mailed until Thursday. So now I'm worried that is going to happen to me because they haven't even tried to send them yet.

Well then dont ever buy from them.. Or, send it back when you get it. Your the customer, and the customer is always right. Not to mention that live rock is expensive, so just send it back and demand a refund and never buy from them again. Problem Solved.

Sorry njones that I didnt get back sooner, I've been on vacation. Trust me, I know what its like to be anxiously waiting to hear from someone. Well I have to say that the rock did look surprisingly pretty good when it arrived. I was somewhat impressed with the color variations but there wasnt any coraline growth yet. The rock is now in the tank and cycling is underway. The dude from the place did finally call and reply to my emails and assured me that the rock would be fine. My order was in transit for 6 days and seems to be performing OK.

Ok, question then about the brown stuff dying off thr rock - do I need to clean it out? I called the store where I bought the tank and they said it would be fine, it was just part of the process of curing out.

Ok, question then about the brown stuff dying off thr rock - do I need to clean it out? I called the store where I bought the tank and they said it would be fine, it was just part of the process of curing out.
You should lightly brush and swish it under saltwater to knock off most of that brown and anyother dead stuff on the rock.

How much dead stuff is on your sand? I would syphon most of it out.
What are you using for an Ammonia source?

No clue! lol We've only had the tank a couple of weeks so no fish yet. It's just saltwater, live rock and a filter right now. There isn't a lot of it the brown stuff just some patches of it around the edge by the glass. It's only a 46 gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom