Just Wondering...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey There!
Thinking of setting up a 25 gal salt water FOWLR
Been reading some things and a lot of places are going on about sumps and stuff, but i only have a HOB filter that is suitable for a 25, is that enough filtration? Can i have in aquarium filters or is it a no no?

Also what can be the substarte be? Anything or should i get some sort of aquarium safe saltwater substarte instead of the sand i use for my freshies?

Any articles that you may find helpful for me would be great also!
Thanks,
Jason

Jason7894561230 said:
Hey There!
Thinking of setting up a 25 gal salt water FOWLR
Been reading some things and a lot of places are going on about sumps and stuff, but i only have a HOB filter that is suitable for a 25, is that enough filtration? Can i have in aquarium filters or is it a no no?

Also what can be the substarte be? Anything or should i get some sort of aquarium safe saltwater substarte instead of the sand i use for my freshies?

Any articles that you may find helpful for me would be great also!
Thanks,
Jason

SW aquariums can have hob filters, but it should really be rated for about twice the size of the tank and it will need to be cleaned every week, like clockwork.
You can use sand for SW or go barebottom. I wouldn't recommend gravel, though cuz the pieces are large enough that they can trap food and waste and then you'll have a problem. If you want fish that dig in the sand, you'll need at least 3" of sand, but if you're not planning on that type of fish, you can have as little or as much sand as you want.

I would attach articles if I had any idea how to do that, but I don't. So I will leave that up to more tech-savvy people than I. :)
Good luck!! And do lots of research!! :)

Back
Top Bottom