just wondering what brand of bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yigosflower

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
anyone want to give me a good lighting system idea to start with? wondring what type of ones would be best for my type of tank.
we are doing live rock, & live sand, as well as having the fish that can be in our tank.

(what fish would be recommended?)

*we have a 40 gallon*

thanks alot everyone

Your lighting is really dependant on what kinds of critters you want to keep. If you don't plan on adding any corals, then a nice VHO or PC hood will be more than adequate. You will probably even be okay for some inverts (some softies and LPS)with those types of lighting.

URI and Coralife make some decent bulbs if you do go with VHO, I don't know a lot about PCs.

Metal Halides and T5's are really overkill unless you are looking to do some types of LPS and almost all SPS or clams.

If I were you though, I would think long and hard about whether or not I wanted inverts before investing in a lighting system. They can be quite expensive, and spending a couple of hundred dollars on a set up that isn't adequate for what you want will really wreck your day! :cry: A lot of beginners start of with the idea that they will do a FOWLR tank, only to change their minds later down the road and want to add inverts. Sometimes you can use what you have and supplement with new equipment, and sometimes you have to just start over from scratch.

Do some research about what you want to have, and once again, planning ahead will save money and heartache down the road!!!

Take a lok at the coralfe Aqaights. Hey are great for fish only tanks but wil also allow you to move up to a wide variety of corals if you want.They are affordabe as well!

Back
Top Bottom