Kaudern's Cardinal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psychocircus91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I tried doing some searches, but couldn't find anything based on the way I worded it.
I understand these fish can be schooling fish or be paired off. Can they live happily in an aquarium if I only purchase one fish? or do they prefer to be in groups?:fish2:

thanks in advance.

They have info about these guys on LiveAquaria.com - They are on my stock list too...they are SO pretty!!

They have info about these guys on LiveAquaria.com - They are on my stock list too...they are SO pretty!!

Yeah, I've seen it. It says it's best not to keep them in large groups, but they enjoy having a few others around. Not sure if that means they'd be unhappy if kept singly?

I think they can be single...but hopefully someone with more experience will chime in here...

They can be kept alone. Better in groups though!

I think they are lovely fish. Under the right lighting they have an amazing 'sparkle'.

My one problem with them is their price. Very high for a small fish.

You might have better luck using the more common 'Bangaii Cardinal' name. I can tell you from experience that they're hard to keep. I had two, one of them died very soon after purchasing. The other, after finally getting it to eat, lived for several months then suddenly died. The majority are wild caught, which makes it a good idea to ask to see them eat prior to purchasing. FWIW, my solo bangaii seemed content by itself.

You might have better luck using the more common 'Bangaii Cardinal' name. I can tell you from experience that they're hard to keep. I had two, one of them died very soon after purchasing. The other, after finally getting it to eat, lived for several months then suddenly died. The majority are wild caught, which makes it a good idea to ask to see them eat prior to purchasing. FWIW, my solo bangaii seemed content by itself.

Thanks for the reply.
However, liveaquaria sells them tank bred. In fact, I read that this species is endangered in the wild and you should only buy tank bred (which are also hardier)

I can't access liveaquaria right now (it's blocked at work :nono:)...but I think it's in the "beginner" section, isn't it? That's why it's on my list, 'cause I'm a beginner...

I can't access liveaquaria right now (it's blocked at work :nono:)...but I think it's in the "beginner" section, isn't it? That's why it's on my list, 'cause I'm a beginner...

They do not have it in the beginner section, however they have the level of care listed as "easy". Then again they have lionfish under the beginner section so who knows.

Like the previous post I bought 4 and they slowly started to die while other fish in the aquarium were doing well . I only saw them eat a few times, then again I had a damsel terrorizing them .

I never understood why there were more wild caught sold than tank bred.... but glad to see LA doing it. They're actually one of the easier sw fish to breed, from what I understand, as they're mouth brooders and do the hard part of hatching the eggs for you (though, that's certainly not to say it's easy beyond that point). They are beautiful fish though, and I wish you the best in keeping them. Many people do so successfully.

Grrrr....

Now I'm second guessing these guys as a choice...

I never understood why there were more wild caught sold than tank bred.... but glad to see LA doing it. They're actually one of the easier sw fish to breed, from what I understand, as they're mouth brooders and do the hard part of hatching the eggs for you (though, that's certainly not to say it's easy beyond that point). They are beautiful fish though, and I wish you the best in keeping them. Many people do so successfully.

Thanks, Just out of curiosity did you have any somewhat aggressive fish in your tank? It's recommended to only keep them with peaceful fish, although that can be interpreted several ways. You are correct about their ease of breeding. Based on some of the comments so far I may not get any. I've been a member here for over a year and have yet to even begin a saltwater aquarium. We will see.

Nah, I just had them (then, only it) along with a pink spotted watchman and a red high fin banded goby (and pistol pair)... in a 40b. Could have been my beginners mistakes, who knows. I just didn't really enjoy fish any, which ultimately led to my now tankless status.

I have 2 bangaii cardinals. They are shy, and seem I be out more when have a friend. I started with 1, and he hid 90% if the time in a cave until I got him a friend. 2 is enough, though. Mine were tank bred, though, so they ate from the first day. I think all of them that Petco sells are tank bred.

Okay thanks. Another question. If I did go with a school of three for these guys, is it best to still add one at a time or maybe add one and then two later?

If you're going to get 3, I would get three from the same tank at the LFS and add all at once. If they're already living together, there's a better chance they'll get along.

Back
Top Bottom