Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Kaudern's Cardinal?

I tried doing some searches, but couldn't find anything based on the way I worded it.
I understand these fish can be schooling fish or be paired off. Can they live happily in an aquarium if I only purchase one fish? or do they prefer to be in groups?

thanks in advance.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

They have info about these guys on LiveAquaria.com - They are on my stock list too...they are SO pretty!!

Old 10-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyons View Post
They have info about these guys on LiveAquaria.com - They are on my stock list too...they are SO pretty!!
Yeah, I've seen it. It says it's best not to keep them in large groups, but they enjoy having a few others around. Not sure if that means they'd be unhappy if kept singly?
Old 10-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #4

I think they can be single...but hopefully someone with more experience will chime in here...
Old 10-29-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

They can be kept alone. Better in groups though!

I think they are lovely fish. Under the right lighting they have an amazing 'sparkle'.

My one problem with them is their price. Very high for a small fish.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You might have better luck using the more common 'Bangaii Cardinal' name. I can tell you from experience that they're hard to keep. I had two, one of them died very soon after purchasing. The other, after finally getting it to eat, lived for several months then suddenly died. The majority are wild caught, which makes it a good idea to ask to see them eat prior to purchasing. FWIW, my solo bangaii seemed content by itself.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
You might have better luck using the more common 'Bangaii Cardinal' name. I can tell you from experience that they're hard to keep. I had two, one of them died very soon after purchasing. The other, after finally getting it to eat, lived for several months then suddenly died. The majority are wild caught, which makes it a good idea to ask to see them eat prior to purchasing. FWIW, my solo bangaii seemed content by itself.
Thanks for the reply.
However, liveaquaria sells them tank bred. In fact, I read that this species is endangered in the wild and you should only buy tank bred (which are also hardier)
Old 10-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #8

I can't access liveaquaria right now (it's blocked at work )...but I think it's in the "beginner" section, isn't it? That's why it's on my list, 'cause I'm a beginner...
Old 10-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyons View Post
I can't access liveaquaria right now (it's blocked at work )...but I think it's in the "beginner" section, isn't it? That's why it's on my list, 'cause I'm a beginner...

They do not have it in the beginner section, however they have the level of care listed as "easy". Then again they have lionfish under the beginner section so who knows.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Like the previous post I bought 4 and they slowly started to die while other fish in the aquarium were doing well . I only saw them eat a few times, then again I had a damsel terrorizing them .

Tags
cardinal

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com