Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

keeping salt..need advice

OK. What's the best container for keeping salt from becoming hard. The container I'm using isn't doing the job. So, please tell me what to get and where to get it. I don't need anything huge.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #2

I buy it by the bucket, which seals up nice and tight.

FYI it is not just the hard part that moisture getting in there is problematic, it ishard because it dissolved a little and then recrystalized. This can change the salt and lower its quality as different bonds are made.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I buy the box (200 gallon mix, Instant Ocean) that has 4 individual bags. When I cut one open and use some of it, I push out the air (slowly) and twist is really good, then double it over and rubber-band it tightly. I have found this works very well, I end up using the salt before it goes bad. I did have one bag that got some moisture in it and it was unusable - the salt doesn't dissolve all the way and I was left with little tiny beads floating around in it after 24 hours even. I could smash them with my fingers but they wouldn't dissolve on their own.
Floyd R Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I too buy the large container of salt. I remove the 4 sealed bags and place them into a 5g that I pickup at Home Depot. I guess other Hardware stores would have them too.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks all. I think I'm going to buy a tub of salt that comes in an tight container, like you've all said. I don't need a tremendous amount at one time, but it will keep for future use. Thanks again.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

TC do you empty the salt out of the bags and into the 5G HD bucket right away, or do you just take the bags and put them in a bucket and seal it up (like double protection)?
Old 10-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've been emptying the salt into a container. Do you know of any books that give ideas about how to seascape a tank?
Old 10-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
TC do you empty the salt out of the bags and into the 5G HD bucket right away, or do you just take the bags and put them in a bucket and seal it up (like double protection)?
They have been in sealed plastic bags, so I just put them straight into the 5g bucket.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:07 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's what I figured, but mellowyellow you might want to consider doing the same. There's no reason that I can think of to take a sealed bag and open it up until it's ready to use. I don't know why I didn't think about it, but I'm going to start doing the same thing as TC, taking the sealed (and rubber-banded) bags and putting them in 5g buckets. Easier to store also. Thanks for the idea TC
Old 10-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any time my friend.

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com