keeping salt..need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I buy it by the bucket, which seals up nice and tight.

FYI it is not just the hard part that moisture getting in there is problematic, it ishard because it dissolved a little and then recrystalized. This can change the salt and lower its quality as different bonds are made.

I buy the box (200 gallon mix, Instant Ocean) that has 4 individual bags. When I cut one open and use some of it, I push out the air (slowly) and twist is really good, then double it over and rubber-band it tightly. I have found this works very well, I end up using the salt before it goes bad. I did have one bag that got some moisture in it and it was unusable - the salt doesn't dissolve all the way and I was left with little tiny beads floating around in it after 24 hours even. I could smash them with my fingers but they wouldn't dissolve on their own.

I too buy the large container of salt. I remove the 4 sealed bags and place them into a 5g that I pickup at Home Depot. I guess other Hardware stores would have them too.

TC do you empty the salt out of the bags and into the 5G HD bucket right away, or do you just take the bags and put them in a bucket and seal it up (like double protection)?

TC do you empty the salt out of the bags and into the 5G HD bucket right away, or do you just take the bags and put them in a bucket and seal it up (like double protection)?
They have been in sealed plastic bags, so I just put them straight into the 5g bucket.

That's what I figured, but mellowyellow you might want to consider doing the same. There's no reason that I can think of to take a sealed bag and open it up until it's ready to use. I don't know why I didn't think about it, but I'm going to start doing the same thing as TC, taking the sealed (and rubber-banded) bags and putting them in 5g buckets. Easier to store also. Thanks for the idea TC

Back
Top Bottom