KH Very High?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

euro_Boy_To

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I have a fish-only aquarium and I'm using the Nutrafin KH/GH kit.

I ended up adding 25 drops to get to the final value, leaving me with 250mg/L for KH.

I never tested KH before. I only have two clownfish.

I use RO water, but I've been using SeaChem PH 8.3 for my replacement water to keep the PH at 8.3. I think I have been adding too much of it.

If I don't keep adding the PH buffer, my PH goes down, and if I keep adding it, it seems like my KH is too high.
I also tested calcium for the first time and it's at 200.

What should I do to my replacement water to keep PH stable without raising KH so much and also keep a good calcium level?

I have Kalkwasser mix but I never used it yet. I bought it with the test kits because I knew something has to be wrong. I've had the fish 2 years and Coraline algae never grows on my "live" rock. Only green hair and slime algae.

Thanks a lot for any help!

I would suggest doing a few 20% water changes with nothing added to try to get your chemistry back in balance. What brand salt are you using?

Kalk will add calcium and alkalinity. You don't want to add alk so don't use the kalk. You can buy Kent TurboCalcium to get your ca levels up. Here's a good 2-part recipe for maintaining alk and calcium.

Do you have a lid or cover over the tank? Exactly how low does your pH go? What is the reading before the lights come on and what is it after they have been on a few hours? Here a good article on the causes of low pH.

Coraline algae won't grow at calcium levels of 200ppm, so that could be your issue there. But I really doubt that 200ppm reading - what brand Ca test are you using, and how often are you doing water changes? What salinity are you keeping?

Reason I ask is because most salt mixes have at LEAST 320ppm Ca in them if you mix it up to around 1.024 specific gravity. And if you're doing water changes... even monthly... I'd expect your Ca to be higher than 200ppm. Something is obviously off.

Here's a fantastic article on correcting Ca/Alk problems. I think your tank is really off kilter and you need to bring it back into balance before moving on...

Chemistry and the Aquarium

I'm using Instant Ocean salt...

The test kit is Hagen.

I change water at least once a month about 15-20%. And sometimes twice a month.
I'm using the Chemi-Pure media in my filter and it keeps the water very clean... so that's why I thought once a month is ok.

Salinity 1.024. Temp 80 degrees.

I don't know what's eating up my calcium. I also have some weird white deposits on the rear wall of the aquarium.. Could they be calcium deposits?.. They look like a thin white string, and they're very hard. I had them on my rocks at once time as well, but not any more.

I'll take a look at the article,
thanks!

Coraline algae won't grow at calcium levels of 200ppm, so that could be your issue there. But I really doubt that 200ppm reading - what brand Ca test are you using, and how often are you doing water changes? What salinity are you keeping?

Reason I ask is because most salt mixes have at LEAST 320ppm Ca in them if you mix it up to around 1.024 specific gravity. And if you're doing water changes... even monthly... I'd expect your Ca to be higher than 200ppm. Something is obviously off.

Here's a fantastic article on correcting Ca/Alk problems. I think your tank is really off kilter and you need to bring it back into balance before moving on...

Chemistry and the Aquarium

Most likely, your Ca is precipitating out of the water due to your high alkalinity. Instant Ocean normally mixes up between 320-360 ppm Ca, so your calcium should be reading higher. I'd follow the directions in the link I gave you and get your water parameters balanced again.

Regarding ChemiPure... sure, it'll remove a lot of nasties from your water, but don't forget the other reason to do water changes is to put back the good stuff (alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, iodine, etc) that gets used up. One water change of 15-20% a month seems a little on the light side. I do 10% a week, and I think many do 15-20% every two weeks.

The thing white strings are probably a form of mini feather dusters or worms. Can't remember what they're called right now, but they come and go from my tank also.

Back
Top Bottom