killer squirrley squirrelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

idol1

Aquarium Advice Freak
My squirrelfish went on a killing rampage.He was in a 50gal. He killed 1 rock blenny lg. 3yr old, 1 blk.seabea clown 2yr. 1 baby convict tang I saw him kill and he was after my coralbeauty.He was in there for 3 yrs. I Tore the tank up catching him. Moved him into the 125 with the big guys. Like the Unicorn tangs.now my 50 only has coralbeauty,maroon clown,green Hawaiian checkered wrasse,1 pr.coralbanded shrimp,hermits and loads of brittlestarfish that never stop breeding.hundreds of brittle star babys every where. Oh 2 lg, red pencil urchin.

I have tried squirrelfish in a group Not a very good out come you always end up with one. I always see squirrelfish close to each other but it always looks like they are in competition for each others rock or space. Not in any organized school.

Sorry about all the losses, that is dreadful. It seems maybe Squirrelfish do get too squirrelly, you said you moved him in with larger fish? How is that going?

Since it is the new one in the tank. The convict tang,sergeant major and dominoes are keeping him in his place. He is also afraid of the Idol. So he should fit in I hope.

from what I read about them on live aquara they are a mellow fish , from what you said you put him in a 50g tank that could be what caused the problem as they state 125g or larger with plenty of hiding spots , odd fish but kind of neat

All these fish grew up as juveniles together. It is loaded with rock and coral. Caves and hiding spaces. It is a 50 wide acrylic. Plenty of room for a squirrel. Only 7 fish in the tank.

Sometimes one fish is a jerk. I have returned or rehomed a few little buttheads.

Back
Top Bottom