Kind of random

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boscoj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
But why do sharks need round tanks? Just a little disclaimer...I don't plan on getting a shark, just curious.

Basically if they bop their snouts it messes them all up.. corners are bad.. round is good..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is correct. Pelagic sharks are active and in constant motion. If tanks with corners they can end up damaging their snout.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Here's a little info;

Shark studies have even found that touching a shark's snout can cause it to halt mid-motion and not attack [source: Discovery Channel]. The reason could be the tiny electrical receptors called ampullae of Lorenzini that speckle the area around sharks' noses and mouths. The pores are filled with electrically conductive jelly that catches any changes in the electrical currents around the fish. Hitting sharks' faces may disrupt that unique sense, resulting in an unpleasant sensation

The ampullae of Lorenzini give the shark electroreception. The ampullae consist of small clusters of electrically sensitive receptor cells positioned under the skin in the shark's head. These cells are connected to pores on the skin's surface via small jelly-filled tubes. Scientists still don't yet understand everything about these ampullary organs, but they do know the sensors let sharks "see" the weak electrical fields generated by living organisms. The range of electrosense seems to be fairly limited -- a few feet in front of the shark's nose -- but this is enough to seek out fish and other prey hiding on the ocean floor.

I've also heard that if those cells/organ is damaged it can affect their ability to feed.

Back
Top Bottom