Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707
I've decided not to spend over $50-60 for a fish. My most expensive will be my regal tang. But also looking into getting a business license. So we shall see.
Very good, just keep it easy for a bit.

Whats a business license?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:13 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gboy66

Very good, just keep it easy for a bit.

Whats a business license?
So I can start my own lfs after I get out the army. After all the research and advice from everyone, I'm going to set up my own shop after I retire from the army in 4 yrs. I see what everyone is complaining about, what everyone is praising, so I'm going to build it off of that. Try to be that responsible owner and do it right. It won't be huge at 1st, but we will see if it catches on.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707 View Post
So I can start my own lfs after I get out the army. After all the research and advice from everyone, I'm going to set up my own shop after I retire from the army in 4 yrs. I see what everyone is complaining about, what everyone is praising, so I'm going to build it off of that. Try to be that responsible owner and do it right. It won't be huge at 1st, but we will see if it catches on.
Thats sounds awesome,,actually a dream of mine too...Sounds like you have a good idea about it ..good luck
FTMMWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:57 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Addict

Trust me, everything I've learned as far as fish care goes is from y'all... I'm volunteering at my lfs to learn the business side of it. Just going to be hard to be a honest store owner.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Its not hard to be an honest store owner.....It hard to be a Successful honest store owner. Good luck Kio. Hope it works out for you.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very true. But it's a 5 year plan before I get started. Ok, we got off topic, my fault. The tank is still empty except for inverts. I thought I lost a peppermint shrimp, but saw them both last night. Arrow crab is amazing. Very deliberate in his movements. Think I'm going to get another star. Looking for something cool.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
The arrow crab is as safe with other inverts as any other crab. The chocolate chip star will eat coral. Ich outbreaks are generally caused by stress. Whether it's a parameter issue, a bullying issue, or something else, it's not like how we catch colds.
The ich parasites were on the fish already, and they were fine for a time, correct? Something changed and stressed them all out.

As for starting a fish store, you'll have to be somewhat heartless and uncaring towards the livestock you purchase. Pet stores directly impact the reefs by ordering these wild caught specimens. You will have to call in and order a bunch of fish, knowing they are being stolen from their native habitat and put in tiny glass cages here and there. 99.9% of them not living out a natural life. You may want to think it over, since you seem so effected by losing a couple fish.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:55 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would love to get an arrow crab, but it is very hard for me to believe they are safe when i have seen them eat other crabs and shrimp with my own eyes. I would love to get one, but i just dont believe they are friendly. Just my opinion
Old 02-16-2012, 02:01 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I have seen hermit crabs kill each other, and snails. As a matter of fact, most of us have. Meanwhile they are still put in tanks on a regular basis.
I don't believe a shrimp could be caught by a slow arrow crab. they are 10 times as fast. I've also seen a coral banded shrimp kill an arrow crab.
I didn't say they were safe- I said they are as safe as any other crab. That's fact.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes i agree that just any crab/shrimp can kill another. My hermits just killed one of
My snails and my cleaner shrimp just ate a hermit, but i think that arrow crabs are much more agressive then other shrimp/crabs, and i dont want to watch a 20$ shrimp get eaten

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com