Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X
The arrow crab is as safe with other inverts as any other crab. The chocolate chip star will eat coral. Ich outbreaks are generally caused by stress. Whether it's a parameter issue, a bullying issue, or something else, it's not like how we catch colds.
The ich parasites were on the fish already, and they were fine for a time, correct? Something changed and stressed them all out.

As for starting a fish store, you'll have to be somewhat heartless and uncaring towards the livestock you purchase. Pet stores directly impact the reefs by ordering these wild caught specimens. You will have to call in and order a bunch of fish, knowing they are being stolen from their native habitat and put in tiny glass cages here and there. 99.9% of them not living out a natural life. You may want to think it over, since you seem so effected by losing a couple fish.
I'm not going reef, yet. And when I do, I got a buddy who I'm helping build his tank I can put them in. His will only be fowlr.

As far as taking the livestock from natural habitats.... Let's just say 7 deployments numbs ur feelings on things. My fish, yes, I care for and it bothers me. If I'm able to make sure that Tang is going into a 125g instead of a 55g.... I gave it the best chance I could. It's now up to the owner.

As far as the stress, I thought of that too... My parameters are correct, so that's why I let it stay fish less... This happened to my 90g at one time too. I left it alone for weeks and never had an issue after I did... Maybe I moved to much to quick... I've redone the rock work, got the uv sterilizer, cleaned out all my buckets. Just making sure I haven't missed anything.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:10 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel
Yes i agree that just any crab/shrimp can kill another. My hermits just killed one of
My snails and my cleaner shrimp just ate a hermit, but i think that arrow crabs are much more agressive then other shrimp/crabs, and i dont want to watch a 20$ shrimp get eaten
Haven't had any issues with that. My coral banded bothers me. I've seen him go after a fish if it got close to his lil spot. But saw the cleaner shrimp right next to him with no issues... Idk.. Fish/inverts are as different as me and you.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707
I've decided not to spend over $50-60 for a fish. My most expensive will be my regal tang. But also looking into getting a business license. So we shall see.
I remember setting a limit like that......once. I with I had that kind of self control.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonster

I remember setting a limit like that......once. I with I had that kind of self control.
lol I set a $20 limit in fish when I had FW but when I got SW it became $150
Old 02-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I know the feeling. I set a $30 limit and I am picking up my Blueface Angel this weekend.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMonster
I know the feeling. I set a $30 limit and I am picking up my Blueface Angel this weekend.
Lol..well we dont have one..we are broke regardless. So far mine is $0.00 lol!!
Old 02-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #107
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have a $50 limit on corals unless its something mind blowing LOL
I so far haven't spent more than $50 on a single fish either and the only fish that was $50 is my mandarin.

I have no self control about equipment though. I am soo bad like that.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #108
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Wow! 50 bucks for a mandarin?
Old 02-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just picked up my Blueface Angel tonight. Even with a 20% discount, it was pricy. Now if I could just get my Powder Blue to leave it alone.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I got the ORA mandy.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com