Kio707 tank 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nu-Nu the eel said:
Well the arrow crab is agressive and will probably kill all other inverts in your tank.... :( are they in the qt tank?

No. I don't qt inverts. Are they? Never heard that before.... He seems to behaving. But I'll look out for him. Thanks for the heads up.

Ya no problem, and ya i have heard stories where the arrow crabs even catch small fish and eat them alive.. Some are friendly but most are not. Good luck

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Ya no problem, and ya i have heard stories where the arrow crabs even catch small fish and eat them alive.. Some are friendly but most are not. Good luck

Lol im super lucky then. I've got in my 25g now! He was my first invert too before I added any fish back when I had my 5g

Man lucky you! I would love to have an arrow crab, but im scared that it would be an evil one..

Sucks... The guys are doing ok in the 10g, just sucks they are still in there... No white spots and better breathing... So it's working.

Kio707 said:
Sucks... The guys are doing ok in the 10g, just sucks they are still in there... No white spots and better breathing... So it's working.

Well thats great then!! So whats the stock going to be? Anything that isnt reef safe? If not..maybe thats the path that you should take. The non-reef fish seem to be difficult and expensive right?!

I've decided not to spend over $50-60 for a fish. My most expensive will be my regal tang. But also looking into getting a business license. So we shall see.

Kio707 said:
I've decided not to spend over $50-60 for a fish. My most expensive will be my regal tang. But also looking into getting a business license. So we shall see.

Very good, just keep it easy for a bit.

Whats a business license?

Gboy66 said:
Very good, just keep it easy for a bit.

Whats a business license?

So I can start my own lfs after I get out the army. After all the research and advice from everyone, I'm going to set up my own shop after I retire from the army in 4 yrs. I see what everyone is complaining about, what everyone is praising, so I'm going to build it off of that. Try to be that responsible owner and do it right. It won't be huge at 1st, but we will see if it catches on.

So I can start my own lfs after I get out the army. After all the research and advice from everyone, I'm going to set up my own shop after I retire from the army in 4 yrs. I see what everyone is complaining about, what everyone is praising, so I'm going to build it off of that. Try to be that responsible owner and do it right. It won't be huge at 1st, but we will see if it catches on.
Thats sounds awesome,,actually a dream of mine too...Sounds like you have a good idea about it ..good luck(y)

Trust me, everything I've learned as far as fish care goes is from y'all... I'm volunteering at my lfs to learn the business side of it. Just going to be hard to be a honest store owner.

Its not hard to be an honest store owner.....It hard to be a Successful honest store owner. :) Good luck Kio. Hope it works out for you.

Very true. But it's a 5 year plan before I get started. Ok, we got off topic, my fault. The tank is still empty except for inverts. I thought I lost a peppermint shrimp, but saw them both last night. Arrow crab is amazing. Very deliberate in his movements. Think I'm going to get another star. Looking for something cool.

The arrow crab is as safe with other inverts as any other crab. The chocolate chip star will eat coral. Ich outbreaks are generally caused by stress. Whether it's a parameter issue, a bullying issue, or something else, it's not like how we catch colds.
The ich parasites were on the fish already, and they were fine for a time, correct? Something changed and stressed them all out.

As for starting a fish store, you'll have to be somewhat heartless and uncaring towards the livestock you purchase. Pet stores directly impact the reefs by ordering these wild caught specimens. You will have to call in and order a bunch of fish, knowing they are being stolen from their native habitat and put in tiny glass cages here and there. 99.9% of them not living out a natural life. You may want to think it over, since you seem so effected by losing a couple fish.

I would love to get an arrow crab, but it is very hard for me to believe they are safe when i have seen them eat other crabs and shrimp with my own eyes. I would love to get one, but i just dont believe they are friendly. Just my opinion

I have seen hermit crabs kill each other, and snails. As a matter of fact, most of us have. Meanwhile they are still put in tanks on a regular basis.
I don't believe a shrimp could be caught by a slow arrow crab. they are 10 times as fast. I've also seen a coral banded shrimp kill an arrow crab.
I didn't say they were safe- I said they are as safe as any other crab. That's fact.

Yes i agree that just any crab/shrimp can kill another. My hermits just killed one of
My snails and my cleaner shrimp just ate a hermit, but i think that arrow crabs are much more agressive then other shrimp/crabs, and i dont want to watch a 20$ shrimp get eaten

Back
Top Bottom