Kio707 tank 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mr_X said:
The arrow crab is as safe with other inverts as any other crab. The chocolate chip star will eat coral. Ich outbreaks are generally caused by stress. Whether it's a parameter issue, a bullying issue, or something else, it's not like how we catch colds.
The ich parasites were on the fish already, and they were fine for a time, correct? Something changed and stressed them all out.

As for starting a fish store, you'll have to be somewhat heartless and uncaring towards the livestock you purchase. Pet stores directly impact the reefs by ordering these wild caught specimens. You will have to call in and order a bunch of fish, knowing they are being stolen from their native habitat and put in tiny glass cages here and there. 99.9% of them not living out a natural life. You may want to think it over, since you seem so effected by losing a couple fish.

I'm not going reef, yet. And when I do, I got a buddy who I'm helping build his tank I can put them in. His will only be fowlr.

As far as taking the livestock from natural habitats.... Let's just say 7 deployments numbs ur feelings on things. My fish, yes, I care for and it bothers me. If I'm able to make sure that Tang is going into a 125g instead of a 55g.... I gave it the best chance I could. It's now up to the owner.

As far as the stress, I thought of that too... My parameters are correct, so that's why I let it stay fish less... This happened to my 90g at one time too. I left it alone for weeks and never had an issue after I did... Maybe I moved to much to quick... I've redone the rock work, got the uv sterilizer, cleaned out all my buckets. Just making sure I haven't missed anything.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Yes i agree that just any crab/shrimp can kill another. My hermits just killed one of
My snails and my cleaner shrimp just ate a hermit, but i think that arrow crabs are much more agressive then other shrimp/crabs, and i dont want to watch a 20$ shrimp get eaten

Haven't had any issues with that. My coral banded bothers me. I've seen him go after a fish if it got close to his lil spot. But saw the cleaner shrimp right next to him with no issues... Idk.. Fish/inverts are as different as me and you.

Kio707 said:
I've decided not to spend over $50-60 for a fish. My most expensive will be my regal tang. But also looking into getting a business license. So we shall see.

I remember setting a limit like that......once. I with I had that kind of self control.

SeanMonster said:
I remember setting a limit like that......once. I with I had that kind of self control.

lol I set a $20 limit in fish when I had FW but when I got SW it became $150

SeanMonster said:
I know the feeling. I set a $30 limit and I am picking up my Blueface Angel this weekend.

Lol..well we dont have one..we are broke regardless. So far mine is $0.00 lol!!

I have a $50 limit on corals unless its something mind blowing LOL
I so far haven't spent more than $50 on a single fish either and the only fish that was $50 is my mandarin.

I have no self control about equipment though. I am soo bad like that.

Just picked up my Blueface Angel tonight. Even with a 20% discount, it was pricy. Now if I could just get my Powder Blue to leave it alone.

Eel and watchman are back in tank. All is well so far. Eel really enjoys the room. So if all is well by next week, imma add fish. Just one for now. Trying to decide if I wanna do a reef or not.

Your making me nervous ..Seems early to start adding already..,,and yes,inverts can definitely bring ick into your tank...If its wet it can hitch a ride..If you get inverts,rock,sand ect.. from an ick infested tank and put it directly into your tank chances are you just added ick to your tank..Remember its not a pod or worm that you can see,its microscopic ,,you'll never see it on or in anything.I'm sure you've seen this link many times on here,,but its really worth it to read every word
An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com
.Good luck

EDIT::I thought you had added stuff on the 11th of Feb.
Yes ich can kill in a week,,it can kill overnight

Added that to QT. I think I had other issues other then ich. Same thing happened to my 90g. I added to much, to quick. Been doing 30% pwc weekly, maintained tank, skimmer was dirty for 4 days straight after I took out fish. I think I caused the ick, if that makes sense. I stressed the fish due to me being inpatient. I screwed up and made a rookie mistake. I'm not adding anyone else till I know these guys are good. All seems well so far. So we shall see.

Well, I have added a flame angel and blue jaw female. Had them for a week with no issues. Eel and goby are doing good too.... Taking it slow and watching everyday...

Last edited:
Went home and the angel was gasping for air. Tried to put him in 10g but lost him.:( No spots or marks. I've never had luck with dwarf angels, idk why. Goby is actually being sociable and coming out, Trigger is getting better, too. Eel still just hides until feeding time. (y)

Angel was eating and also picking at rocks. Constantly in and out the rocks. It's so weird how they are active and all over the place, then the next thing you know, they are gone... annoying.:banghead:

Back
Top Bottom