Kole Tang attacking his reflection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a Kole Tang about 2 months ago. Besides from a couple misunderstandings with my foxface, he has been a good resident. This week, in the evening, I noticed him tail slapping the glass over and over again. I realized that he is attacking his reflection. If I turn the room lights on he stops. If I put my hand on the glass he stops.I think it just started recently because now the room is dark at night, while before there was sunlight in the room for longer. That's why if I turn the light on, he can't see the reflection as well.What should I do? Will he eventually outgrow this? He has a couple marks on his nose, but I'm not sure if it's from that.

Try taping a piece of paper or something to the side of the glass. Should get rid of the reflection.
Then keep an eye on things in terms of any injury.

Basically fish do not see their reflections...Special lighting and conditions must be met...
Koles got attitude...

Basically fish do not see their reflections...Special lighting and conditions must be met...
Koles got attitude...

I'm not sure what that means? If the light in the tank is on in a dark room, how do they not see their reflection? My puffer sometimes attacks the glass when I put food in because of the reflection.

Try taping a piece of paper or something to the side of the glass. Should get rid of the reflection.
Then keep an eye on things in terms of any injury.

Whatever wounds he had on his nose are gone now. I think the ferocity of the episodes is diminishing. He's still doing it, but it's lessened.

Back
Top Bottom