Lateral Line Swelling on Powder Blue Tang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Flreefer said:
Cool Sean, sometimes it's best just to let things ride.

I did add a dose of Crypo-Pro yesterday. I swear by that stuff. Either way, I'm ecstatic. The fish looked horrible yesterday. Its like a new fish today.

Ohh right, I forgot. That's great though, you've had some good luck!
Hopefully it keeps going for you.

Flreefer said:
Ohh right, I forgot. That's great though, you've had some good luck!
Hopefully it keeps going for you.

Thanks. I hope I keep the luck rolling too. I have a 90g that I'm making a reef being delivered tomorrow.

Good luck sleeping tonight! I'd be up most of the night like a little kid before a trip to Disney world.
I love getting new stuff, although it doesn't happen as much as I'd like!
Have fun with it and best of luck!!
Keep us up to date with your progression

Flreefer said:
Good luck sleeping tonight! I'd be up most of the night like a little kid before a trip to Disney world.
I love getting new stuff, although it doesn't happen as much as I'd like!
Have fun with it and best of luck!!
Keep us up to date with your progression

Will do. And thank you.

SeanMonster said:
Isn't HLLE disease diet related? I thought I was feeding a really diverse diet. If that is what it is, can it be reversed?

Read an article a few weeks back that followed a study finding that HLLE is majorly caused by carbon.

Jlsardina said:
Read an article a few weeks back that followed a study finding that HLLE is majorly caused by carbon.

Do you run carbon any longer? What was the mechanism? Pollutants leaching back into the water from the carbon?

Just a note, though possibly valid at his facility, it does not incorporate all carbon use as hlle causative agent with other facilities along with questioning a controlled environment (if I read correctly).

Innovator said:
Just a note, though possibly valid at his facility, it does not incorporate all carbon use as hlle causative agent with other facilities along with questioning a controlled environment (if I read correctly).

Also sounds like carbon with protein skimming greatly reduces the effect.

Oh there is no 100% to say each tank ran with the same conditions. If I remember correctly it also didn't mention the type of carbon used or the way it was processed. I run carbon (less than recommended) and a skimmer as well. I have 6 tangs and no HLLE.

Carbon used was lignite I believe. The biggest concern for me is the tankmate variable as hierarchy has always dictated hlle variability for me. Also, carbon composition (types) could also play a role. It would be likely that multiple variables are at play and not necessarily a singlized factor.

New reef tank is here!! :) Started a thread called SeanMonster's First Reef Tank (90g). Hope you guys will follow. Obviously in the "cycle mode" right now.

BTW, the Pinktail is now clear of ich and looks very good. Everyone (including myself) looks happy again.

Back
Top Bottom