Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Latest Water test results, anything wrong?

Ok well after the test on 12/03/10 Calium:700ppm,KH:179ppm,Phosphates:5.0, and Nitrates:20 using an API Master Test Kit I did about a 60% PWC and took out half of my sandbed<<will get new pics posted this week... I re-tested on 12/06/10 and here are those results Calcium:800ppm, KH:214.8ppm, Phosphates:2.0ppm, and Nitrates:10ppm

Is there something I'm missing? I also re-scaped my tank and it looks WAY better visually. Please lemme know any thoughts!

thanks!

Old 12-07-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

Make sure you're doing your tests right. If so, I've never seen calcium levels that high. ALso, that phosphate level, if it really is 2ppm, is extremely high.

Old 12-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Have you fixed your salinity yet? In that one thread, you were saying your swing arm hydrometer was off the charts and it was way too salty. If so, that would explain the high calcium numbers. Calcium is like 2x what it should be. Phosphates are also crazy high. But with no coral, it really doesn't matter except for fueling algae.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

as kurt mention,that might be the reason why you have such readings....and what type of salt and water did u used..??
Old 12-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
i'm betting he's using API test kits. they have the worst calcium test in the hobby. i compared 2 API calcium kits against salifert and elos kits and the API was about 400ppm higher than the other two, BOTH times.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

yup Mr X...he is using API test kits...u can see his post in other thread....
Old 12-07-2010, 11:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i'm betting he's using API test kits. they have the worst calcium test in the hobby. i compared 2 API calcium kits against salifert and elos kits and the API was about 400ppm higher than the other two, BOTH times.
You must've gotten two very bad API kits. They're not great, but I've never seen them *that* far off. Maybe off from Salifert by 20% or so, but nothing like what you saw.

The original poster mentioned in another thread that the arm on their swing arm was "straight up" - which would imply a really really salty tank... and really really high calcium.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:16 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
but only 10dkh with 700ppm ca? i don't think that's possible. i believe that alk would be around 4. yeah, i don't agree with the API. i wouldn't use anything but the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate in those kits. they are worth about what they cost, compared to the others.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes I have Fixed my Salinity, not to perfect as now it is UNDER what it should be lol but now I am topping it off with SW til it gets there, its not too far off anymore.

BUT BAD NEWS!!! My friggin heater BLEW UP last night OMG my water temp now is about 66-68 degrees!!! All I have in there are my 3 hermits my LR and a very small acan echinata frag (which I got free so not worried about). It will be a few days before I can get another one... Is this gonna cause any/many/too many problems? Can I get a time frame/graph kind of thing? so I can know how long I have

-Thanks for all the chatter! helping me learn a lot.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mr X... I didn't do the conversion on the alk number and just figured it was messed up too. I agree... 700ppm cal and 10 dkh ain't right.

Kingman... not sure how long things can survive at those temps. I'm guessing the hermits would be OK, but only a guess. If you've fixed the salinity, then those calcium numbers are off. Either a bad test kit or operator-error.

Tags
test, test results

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com