Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-14-2006, 10:13 PM   #21
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Save your money and buy some more LR instead of the bio spira.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:25 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
took the crab meat out eailier today after doing my first SW params test

pH: 8.1
Nitrites:0
Nitrates 20ppm
amonia: .50ppm

after seeing the amonia spike, i gave in, and took the crab out.

LR is $5.99/lb and bio spira he said would be $14

maybe the LR would be a better trade

EDIT: how long would it take me to culture my base rock in someone else's established SW tank, and put it back into mine?

Old 11-15-2006, 12:55 AM   #23
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Why not cure it in yours while you cycle? This would be better. But if you cant do it now then later put it in a rubbermaid tub with SW and cure it yourself. I think you`ll need a heater and PH.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:35 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

did a 2 gallon water change to try and bring amonia down last night, but is still at .50ppm

melosu, i was thinking of curing it in someone elses tank because i could then put it in my tank, and jumpstart my cycle a bit more

1. also my water is slightly cloudy, a sign of a natural bacteria bloom? how long do they last in salt water?

2. visiting another lfs, they gave me some free samples of TLC. while she said it would do the same thing as bio-spira (she seemed a bit confused as what bio-spira was). this TLC doesnt actually say anything about bacteria on it but that it removes NH3 and N02, reduces fish loss, and purifies water. 100% natural.

if anyone is familiar with TLC for SW Aquariums, give me a heads up

3. ive never really dealt with amonia spikes, but i'd assume the bacteria producing amonia have to starve off with no food source. i am thinking about completely draining my tank, drying everything out, and restarting the tank with the TLC.

i dont know how stupid that last part sounded, but if i can cycle the tank with TLC instead, it might be worth it to rid myself of the amonia and the cloudy bacterial bloom

thanks guys
Old 11-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I am not understanding...why are you trying to bring the ammonia down? You are getting in too much of a hurry. Leave it all be and let nature take its course. If you have a nice strong cycle, you wont have problems when you start adding fish.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:03 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hara
I am not understanding...why are you trying to bring the ammonia down?
im under the impression i should have no ammonia? and that sw fish are extra picky about water params?

i suppose i had a bad experience with my bacterial bloom in my 55 gallon, and am terrified of it going on... again

if i can stop this whole cycle jumpy params cycle, i will
Old 11-15-2006, 11:05 PM   #27
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
You have fish in there? If there are no fish in there, yes, those parameters should be jumping all over. HIGH ammonia, HIGH nitrite..all this happens over the period of a month or so, not a few days.

Maybe you are confused a little about the nitrogen cycle.
You might want to read this:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...q=2&fldAuto=15

Once again, I will say, shortcuts now will lead to disaster later.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:29 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I think you are misinterpreting the whole Fishless Cycle thing. The crab leg as you used instead of shrimp, causes an ammonia buildup. You are by no means supposed to try to stop it. You leave the crab in there to rot, get smelly, and decompose.

Basically Do Not Touch the Tank, for atleast a month. check params to watch the ammonia spike go up, nitrite go up and eventually turn into nitrate. This is the cycle, you have to be patient. Not listening to the experts/veterans on here and trying to cruise through the cycle in a couple days is a bad idea and irresponsible.

If you don't intend to wait, stick a fish in there and pray it lives through the torture of the cycle, and you will eventually do it the right way like you have been told to by EXPERIENCED hobbyists.

Spira/TLC is your shortcut and is not the right way to do things. If you don;t want to listen or read up on proper care of animals I suggest you don't come on here and listen to your LFS.

There is a reason why it's suggested this way and you shouldn't be ignorant, You need to read up on the basics which are posted all over here, and should of before you started.

Either way you will learn the basics, fast, easy, or the right way. Usually the right ways the fastest and easiest and less stressful on your inhabitants.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:30 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

i do not have fish in the tank. and yes i have read that article, however is bio-spira/TLC really a bad short cut, isnt it equal to the shrimp method, if not quicker
Old 11-15-2006, 11:43 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Bacteria takes time to grow. The only way to make it quicker as far as I know is by adding cured live rock from a mature tank with the beneficial bacteria already cultured on it. Then it still won't be a couple days. When your ammonia nitrite are at 0 and the nitrate is sky high with no trace of your crab legs you are done the cycle.

Tags
20 gallon, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com