Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2006, 12:17 AM   #31
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
My guess is that this TLC stuff is just like the FW Cycle product. It's bacterial spores (yes still live, but dormant) and not really beneficial for a new tank cycle. I would follow the advice of others and just add your liverock and be patient. Live rock, as it cures, will cycle your tank. You do not need to put it in anyone else's tank. That will cause your tank to recycle. Get it all done at once and it will not take as long and your cycle will be more "efficient", if you will.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 10:54 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
chill out fargo, im not trying to cut corners, im just trying to be time efficient and effective.

my thinking is, why run 10 miles, when you can just exercise your legs for half an hour at the gym. if it gets you the same results, why not take the quicker route.

in no way did i mean to cheat the system. i was under the impression that TLC would do the same thing as the crab in a shorter time, that it was all just bacteria. i guess not

Old 11-16-2006, 09:32 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will just echo what has been said here...nothing good happens fast in this hobby. It is actually a blessing in disgise. this hobby is expensive enough, use the time it takes for your tank to cycle to save up money and do research.

CC is not a bad substrate. People have been using it for years with great success. That said, it does have its drawbacks...it requires frequent vacuuming to remove trapped detritus and is not easily sifted by critters. I myself much prefer sand, but CC is not a deal-breaker as long as you understand what is involved in it.

Please, please, please do not waste your money on Bio-spira. It does nothing to prepair your tank for long-term habbitation and gives you a false sense that your tank is cycled and ready to accept livestock. There is absolutley no replacement for good old fashion time when cycling. This in not even a ten mile race, its a marathon.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:40 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Just saying if there was a faster way I think everyone on this board and everyother would be doing it/promoting it.
Can't rush nature.

It's like making chickens without laying eggs.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:40 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

you guys understand, the only reason i say what i did was because the lfs told me too. because i lack your experience, i am impressionable that

1) the lfs wouldnt make stuff up
2) TLC works
3) there may be longer and shorter ways to cycle the tank

on another note, is TLC useless? what does it do, if its, live but dormant?
Old 11-17-2006, 09:09 AM   #36
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
The LFS is there to make money, we are not. We give advice out of love for the hobby, not because we stand to profit from it in any way.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:39 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

hc, everyone here just wants to see ya have a successful aquarium. Like Hara said, they are out to sell you anything, whereas we are not. It's a common problem, one you really aren't expected to know!

I can't find any info on this TLC stuff except that it's manufactured in Ohio. Since you are from Ohio, it's possible that maybe it's only distributed locally. I have never seen it in stores. I thought I read once, that if a product doesn't require refrigeration, it's not going to work, which makes complete sense.

As for the Bio-Spira, yes, it may work. But... the problem is when you want to try and add liverock to your system. It is going to possibly re-cycle anyways, unless you get totally 100% cured rock and take it directly from whereever you get it and put it right into your tank. Sinec you are still cycling the tank, it would be more beneficial for you to just get all of your liverock now, let it cure in your tank thus cycling it at the same time. This way, you know for sure your tank will have enough bacteria to support a bioload as heavy as liverock and fish, coral, etc. and you won't have to worry about mini-cycles and such.

This...
1. Saves you money
2. Ensures that your livestock will have NO problem living in your tank.
3. Eliminates the possibility of a mini-cycle by adding liverock later.

Liverock is such an important part of biological filtration. If you still wish to add the product, go ahead. But please also add your liverock at the same time, that will help greatly.

Hope this makes sense.

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:21 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

i understand and appreciate your guys's help. if anything im a bit confused, maybe stressed

i replaced most of my cc with some argonite sand, which in fact is just smaller cc im sure.

instructions to set up a sw tank, the lfs gave me, says adding LR after 8 days is recommended. my ammonia is still .50ppm. i also have like 15 lbs of base rock in the tank.

i take it, i shouldnt add LR because of my ammonia, or should i and the LR will take care of the ammonia? or should i just not, just because.

if and when infact i add LR, i think i'll be using the TLC stuff

would adding used filter media from my fw tanks do anything, surely some bacteria must survive from the waste, and debris collected on the media

my tank is a week old on saturday
Old 11-17-2006, 11:30 PM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

Your ammonia is .5 after the addition of the crab? Or liverock? Did you even add the crab?

Add the liverock in now, before you add life to the tank. When you have all your liverock in there, THEN see ammonia, nitrite at 0, you are good to go.

Good luck with the TLC stuff. Wish I knew more about it to help you. Let us know what you think about it.

Adding filter media from your fw will do nothing to help with your sw tank. Different bacteria. I wish it were that easy!

When do we get pictures?

Old 11-18-2006, 12:35 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

sorry, i meant to be more clear

i did add the crab, and have ammonia of .5

i have not added LR, but when i do, i'll use the TLC with it at the same time

i understand that sw and fw have different bacteria, but wont the debris on the fw media be able to grow sw bacteria, or are fish needed for the right bacterial growth?

pictures? as soon as i can get my printer/scanner to not make a 4x6" pictures scanned at 4 pixels. i dont have a digital camera...

Tags
20 gallon, fowlr

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com