LED tank...would it work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkobu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all
Well I have to admit I am new to the LED moonlighting (wish they were more known when I had my reef!!) and have decided to DIY the project for my 250...
I came up with the idea of using the chrome eggcrate light difuser with the LEDS mounted into 1/8 thick sheet of styrofoam laid on the eggcrate.. I want to scatter around the bulbs (I am now thinking of having them on a random flash..more simulation of moon being broken up by surf! eh!!!) instead of the straight rows.

But while looking up the bulbs at a local place in Orlando I found some 15000 mcb 10mm bulbs that I believe are 5500K but bright!! ( And I think they have a 50,000 hr life or 30k?)

What I am thinking (this would be changable to any size tank.) is that I could get around 100 of them $99 and retrofit the eggcrate to fit the 24.5"x96" size I need mix them in with around 50 of the superbright blues for the moonlight (and added blue spectrum during the day..Blues would have to be on 24hrs (No biggie!!). I would wire them seperatly for timers of course.

If the light output is bright enough this could be ideal for many of us No heat ouput, very very low power consumption (buy more fish/coral!!!), long life and I believe that they do not lose there color spectrum like flourescent and MH.

The thought of the light defuser is that stray light will be reflected in the small chamber and off the white stryofoam into tank, it is also light weight so it will be easy to remove if needed, its also pretty cheap and readily available at any Lowes or Home Depot.

The stryofoam is cheap, light, reflective and easy to work with. ( push LED pins through and wire on back side away from water (in an enclosed hood I would silicon connections and cover with a second sheet of stryo(maybe?).

Anyone here have experience in LED light output? is it enough? could even go with 200....

oh yeah here are some links I found....

the 15000 whites and superbrite blues..
http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=946

here are some other cool ones and check out some of there other LED bulbs..saw some cool 57 LED's that screw in standard base 5500K 50W out put and a 5W usage!!!!! (scr@w the electric company!!!) cruise around their LED stuff it's interesting....

http://www.theledlight.com/120-VAC-LEDbulbs.html

Mike

for the money your looking to spend on a maybe you can get a nice moon light and a pc light somewhere.
they are making LED lights now for reef and FO tanks.. there still in the testing mode and will not be cheap.
IMO the difuser will only hurt the light output.. for a fo tank it may work but a reef IMO not going to work long term for corals.
what size tank.

No reef.....

No I am not doing a reef this time (but I think it would work for some of small desktop reefs.)

Actually the cost is not that steep...doing it myself and the money saved on electric will more than be beneficial...

I dont think the difuser will hurt.. the plan is to have the bulb sit in the chamber so that sideways light will bounce down, plus the top will be white which is also reflective..Kind of a single reflector per bulb.

Back
Top Bottom