Lemonpeel angelfish wont eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scelzin1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone. I just have a question and if anyone has some tips I would really appreciate it.

Background.... Just bought my lemonpeel angelfish today. He is only the 3rd fish in my 55gal fowlr tank. The first two fish were two clowns.

I acclimated him just fine for about 4 hours and when I got him into the tank I left the lights off for another hour to let him get comfortable. I added some API stress coat as well. He doesn't seem stressed at all and is swimming around calmly in and out of the rocks etc. after I few hours I turned the lights on and tried to feed him. He wouldn't eat ( and it was almost like he didn't notice it was feeding time). He just kept swimming around the rocks doing his own thing. The clowns didn't attack him and not let him eat either so that isn't it. Also I know he is healthy and beautiful and I watched him eat at the lfs before I got him. Any tips? I tried frozen mysis shrimp and its like he didn't notice the food was even there. Should I try a strip of the seaweed algae on a clip? Should I wait to do that until tomorrow? I don't want to over fees?!

He should be fine let him get acclimated to your water parameters and new environment he should be fine in a couple days. best thing you can do is leave him alone.. and ensure he doesn't get picked on by the other fish...

Ok so I am worrying a little too much? Because the other fish are not picking on him at all and in fact they are all doing their own thing. When I try and feed him next should I try the frozen mysis again? Or should I try a clip on the tank with a strip of Julian spring's seaweed? If and when I try the clip with seaweed? Where should i place it?(have never done that before) towards the top of the tank near the surface or down towards the bottom where he seems to be hanging out because of all the live rock/caves? Any advice would be great. Just want him to be happy and healthy

I typically add my fish, keep lights off the rest of the day and don't feed that day. Let them get used to their new surroundings and calm down a little. They will eat when they are hungry. If your tank has algae, it might peck on that and not eat added food at first. My Multi- color Angel was that way for the first week or so.

Yes, don't worry unless he doesn't eat within the next two days. I use a clip and put the sea weed salad toward the top of the tank for my easy access. They will learn your feeding habits and your placement of food and adjust to it. My fish start popping the top of the water when they see me with their food package in my hand but this is learned over a period of time... I generally feed my fish every 2-3 days and use seaweed salad at one feeding 2-3 days later ill feed Mysis shrimp 2-3 days later pellet fish food ect ... Its better to change up and not feed the same food everytime you feed

Thank you for all the advice. I don't plan on feeding the same thing each time. And I feed every other day and mix it up between seaweed salad, frozen mysis, and garlic flakes and or pellets. And I just want to make sure I eventually catch her attention with the food

It's now sunday evening. I acclimated the fish Friday evening. My new lemonpeel still hasn't eaten. Any tricks or tips/ advice to get her interested in eating? Today I tried a little bit of mysis shrimp again (tried it on Friday evening after I had gotten her into the tank) , this time with a crushed up little bit of garlic flake food. She didn't go for it and just wasn't interested. It's almost like she doesn't notice I'm feeding. She is very healthy looking and swimming around loving all the rocks and caves to explore. No confrontation with my two clowns. Later this evening I tried hanging seaweed from a clip about an inch under the surface and left it hanging for an hour with the lunar lights on. Nothing still. Anything else I can try on Tuesday (my next feeding day) since that will be day 4/5 in my tank? Please help

Can you soak frozen mysis shrimp in it? How about a strip of the seaweed stuff? My dad recommended doing a small 5% water change with a 2 degree difference in the water being added from the water in tank in order to excite/entice the fish and get them interested in eating. Had anyone ever done that? Does it work? Do you feed immediately after the small water change?

The directions on the bottle say either add 2 drops of garlic xtreme per teaspoon of food, or add 1 drop per 10 gallons of water directly to the tank if fish are not eating? So should I add 5 drops directly to water(it's a 55 gal fowlr)? Or soak the food in it to try and get her to eat? She isn't eating at all but healthy as could be just seems uninterested. If you guys do recommend adding it directly to the water , am I supposed to feed immediately after?

Tried a small 4 gal water change last night with the water being only 76 degrees (instead of 78 degrees) in hopes that the slightly cooler water would stimulate the lemonpeel and get him swimming around and perhaps curious/ interested in eating. But after the water change instead if stimulating the fish in hopes of getting her exploring that tank she actually hid in the rock for than ever and was startled. So I didn't end up feeding after that and just turned the lunar lights on and left her alone for the rest of the night. I will try feeding with the garlic xtreme tonight, however I am starting to get worried because this is day 4 in the tank without eating. Am I doing anything wrong? Is there anything else I can try? Am i doing something wrong? I don't want to see this fish get sick and not thrive in my tank.

That's one of the reasons I QT. try the garlic also if you have selcon try that also I soak food with both and everyone eats hope it works for you also. Good luck.

I will try to soaking the food in garlic xtreme tonight. Should I try to soak the frozen mysis or should I soak the seaweed / algae strips and hang it from a clip? Or both?

Back
Top Bottom