LESS BUBBLES BETTER ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOUTEX

Aquarium Advice Newbie
WE have FO and have heard the less air bubbles introduced into the
water the better.

Is this correct ??
If so Why ??

Right now I have an air line at a PH and it introduces lots of very fine
air bubbles into the tank, the fish love it. Is this bad ??

Thanks for any ideas....HOUTEX

It's not bad. It's actually good for ur livestock b/c it increase the dissovlved oxygen level of ur tank. I don't like seeing air bubbles in my tank IMO.

Like he said, nothing much wrong with it... just a nusance more then anything (the micro bubble kind anyhow).
Unfortunatly, bubbling air on purpose doesn't do too much for the water as far as injecting oxygen. The nature of saltwater tends to keep more oxigenation out (due to, I've always assumed, the highr specific gravity).

If you are interested in boosting the oxygen level of your water, try an ozone reactor.
But as with any sort of addition, do read up on the pros and cons and don't jump into anything.

One of the big reasons of the limitation of fish in a marine tank is the dissolved oxygen, but there are limitations to everything.

They probably love it because it is activity they can see and go after it hoping for food... either that or they are bored ;)
I have a spray bar slightly at water level on one end of the bars...it produces fine bubbles from time to time depending on the wave maker... they go after the bubbles if they see em...like a cat after a sparkly I spose..

The only real bubbles that are a problem would be larger bubbles that hit surface and cause "salt creep." And those are not harmful, just messy. :)

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE INFO !! You guys have a great site here.....HOUTEX

IMO if the fish are happy...You don't mind (or even like!) the bubbles go with it!!!!!! It's not gonna hurt a thing...salt creep is only worry (no biggie either!!!!)...

Mike

WE have FO and have heard the less air bubbles introduced into the
water the better.

I believe air bubbles in the tank are bad for SW. I think it causes problems for the fish. Air bubbles in SW don't really do anything. Where are the bubbles coming from? If you are trying to stabalize pH, you just need more surface ripple for gas exchange.

I can't remember the post, but it had something to do with their eyes. Hopefully some one will come along and correct me if I am incorrect.

i read the same thing. something to do with the air getting traped behind the eyes and causing popeye like symtoms and slight blindness, mostly refering to fine micro bubles.

i have a cpr skimmer that puts tons of micro bubbles , large ones too, in the tank and i havent seen anu negative reaction to it. the tank been having the problem for about 6 months.

i cant remember the post either though, sorry,,,, dorian

Back
Top Bottom