lfs rodi water parameters seem high?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

farmerizzy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have been buying rodi from an lfs $1.00/gal. i decided to test water after my salt mix but before adding to tank. all # ok but nitrite was .25(1st shade of purple on api test scale) added prime then later amquel still not 0. tested the rodi w/o salt mix also .25. i tested water in 2 diff tanks and poland spring distilled all at 0 nitrite. also i did tds test on rodi and read 185. tap was 220 and distilled 0. tdi tester appears accurate. is it possible/likely that lfs rodi is junk? is adding water to tanks with .25 nitrite dangerous? i believe i have been topping off my tank evap w/this stuff and never noticed an issue.

you should ask them when they last changed there filters
that should always be the first thing asked before spending money on dirty rodi
and if your still not sure ask to see there log
if they question you why your asking test the water there so they can address the issue

i wonder what the popular opinion is of just using distilled poland springs? its regularly on sale at grocery store one block away for 85 cents/gal.. i have tested this water and it seems to be across the board purest of any thing out there. my demands r minimal maybe 5/10 gals every other week. (small tanks) no big deal lugging 10 gal. jugs to truck. anyone have a reason distilled cannot simply be used instead of rodi. also ph tests good after salt mix tx

I use distilled water from walmart or giant eagle in my 55 reef. But this stuff isn't 0 TDS. I never tested it, but you can see the effects in my tank. There is algae growth in there. Some algae isn't a bad thing, it is more than I want though. But, it does show that it is doable with minimal feedings. Keeping feedings minimal is key though, as it is easy to overdo it and get over run.

I use distilled water in my 10 gallon and have little to no algae growths and less than 5 nitrates. However I'd say if you have tanks bigger than a twenty I would just buy a RODI unit. It will be worth the investment

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Distilled water is good. But I found it to be too expensive on the long run. I got my own ro/di unit. Best choice I've made in this hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom