Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2003, 06:17 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

LFS says it's a red sea star.???

I'm looking at stars to purchase in the future . The LFS had some stars that had 6 legs, and were orange/reddish, w/ black spots, and about 2 inches across. The "guy" at the LFS said they were red sea stars. All the pics I've seen show the red sea star w/ 5 legs, not 6, although otherwise similar. Any ideas? I really would like to get one of these stars in the future from the LFS(they have very good prices, AND no shipping charges)
TIA

Old 10-15-2003, 08:14 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

What type of tank do you have - reef? Can you describe the "texture" of the stars? In general, stars that have a rough/bumpy appearance are predatory, and not reef-safe. Smooth-skinned stars (Linckia sp., Serpent, etc.), are normally more reef-safe.

I'll try to see if I can find something that matches your description in one of my books later on today.

ReefLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:14 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Do you have a reef tank? Would need to see a pic to ID it properly, there are many seastars that are red in color and would therefore qualify for a common name of red sea star. Without knowing the exact species I would not put it in a reef tank. If it is a FO or FOWLR, you should be OK.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 08:54 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am in the progress of building a reef tank (my first SW experience). I'll do my best to post a pic. I don't have a scanner, but friends do. I was HOPING some alumni would respond...no offense to other members. Thanks reeflady, reefrunner69. In my opinion it's smooth in texture. I'll get a pic soon. Please follow this post! Can either/both of you respond to my copepod question? I would really appreciate it!! I need all the info from people with experience I can get. I read as much as I have time to. THIS HOBBY HAS BECOME AN OBSESSION
Old 10-15-2003, 09:02 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I was HOPING some alumni would respond
Quote:
I need all the info from people with experience I can get.
Just to be clear, all the alumni status means is that the member has made a monetary donation to the site, it is not a designation of experience in the hobby. Not trying to take anything away from RL or me, but there are many non-alumni members that have tons of experience and give wonderful informative advice.

Quote:
THIS HOBBY HAS BECOME AN OBSESSION
I think most of us can identify with this

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2003, 09:02 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

PS. serpent stars that are available at the LFS are just to big, in my eyes, for my 29 gallon tank. They are approx. 5 inches leg to leg, and thats one of the smaller ones they stock. Thanks aqain.
Old 10-15-2003, 09:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, many people have much to offer! Do I have egg on my face? More exactly, I meant you "guys" are the quickest to answer w/ only the facts, not opinions. EVERYONE on this site is helpful, and full of good intentions.
Old 10-15-2003, 12:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

looking in the liveaquaria.com catalog i have at home, it says the orange sea star, also comes in red varieties and while it normally has 5 legs, it could have 6 as well.
Old 10-15-2003, 03:38 PM   #9
steve-s

Most likely it is a species of Linkia sp (Echinaster luzonicus). Have a look >>here<< and see what comes up. As far as I know there are species of Linkia that will have 6 legs.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-15-2003, 04:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

linkia or formia

Tags
lfs, sea, star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com