LFS says it's a red sea star.???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MT79

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking at stars to purchase in the future . The LFS had some stars that had 6 legs, and were orange/reddish, w/ black spots, and about 2 inches across. The "guy" at the LFS said they were red sea stars. All the pics I've seen show the red sea star w/ 5 legs, not 6, although otherwise similar. Any ideas? I really would like to get one of these stars in the future from the LFS(they have very good prices, AND no shipping charges)
TIA

What type of tank do you have - reef? Can you describe the "texture" of the stars? In general, stars that have a rough/bumpy appearance are predatory, and not reef-safe. Smooth-skinned stars (Linckia sp., Serpent, etc.), are normally more reef-safe.

I'll try to see if I can find something that matches your description in one of my books later on today.

Do you have a reef tank? Would need to see a pic to ID it properly, there are many seastars that are red in color and would therefore qualify for a common name of red sea star. Without knowing the exact species I would not put it in a reef tank. If it is a FO or FOWLR, you should be OK.

I am in the progress of building a reef tank (my first SW experience). I'll do my best to post a pic. I don't have a scanner, but friends do. I was HOPING some alumni would respond...no offense to other members. Thanks reeflady, reefrunner69. In my opinion it's smooth in texture. I'll get a pic soon. Please follow this post! Can either/both of you respond to my copepod question? I would really appreciate it!! I need all the info from people with experience I can get. I read as much as I have time to. THIS HOBBY HAS BECOME AN OBSESSION :!:

I was HOPING some alumni would respond
I need all the info from people with experience I can get.

Just to be clear, all the alumni status means is that the member has made a monetary donation to the site, it is not a designation of experience in the hobby. Not trying to take anything away from RL or me, but there are many non-alumni members that have tons of experience and give wonderful informative advice.

THIS HOBBY HAS BECOME AN OBSESSION

I think most of us can identify with this ;)

PS. serpent stars that are available at the LFS are just to big, in my eyes, for my 29 gallon tank. They are approx. 5 inches leg to leg, and thats one of the smaller ones they stock. Thanks aqain.

I agree, many people have much to offer! Do I have egg on my face? More exactly, I meant you "guys" are the quickest to answer w/ only the facts, not opinions. EVERYONE on this site is helpful, and full of good intentions.

looking in the liveaquaria.com catalog i have at home, it says the orange sea star, also comes in red varieties and while it normally has 5 legs, it could have 6 as well.

Most likely it is a species of Linkia sp (Echinaster luzonicus). Have a look >>here<< and see what comes up. As far as I know there are species of Linkia that will have 6 legs.

Cheers
Steve

Leiaster and Tamaria are other possible searches. Most stars have 5 legs, a few have 6, but even stars which normally have 5 legs can sometimes be seen in a 6-leg 'morph'.

Take a look here - a little slow to load, but a great photo ID reference:
>>ReefImages.com, Starfish pics<<

There are actually 4 full pages of starfish pics there.

HTH,

Back
Top Bottom