Light & Filter Question for 75-90 Gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
It's been a while since I posted, but I went to the LFS to look at tanks.. The people there aren't really all that bright or helpful..

I am looking to start a reef tank and later wanting to add some clowns, corals, tangs, and a few others.. I was thinking of getting a 75-90gal tank with some lr & ls and was reading that I would need high/bright lighting and moonlighting for night times.. can someone point me in the right direction for how much power I may need and what kind of filter for a tank of this size?

Someone suggested that I build my own set up, but I am not really handy so I'll purchase anything I need to keep my tank fish friendly :)

The book I am reading is..
The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide -- by Michael S. Paletta
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/s...&field-keywords=saltwater/104-5375434-0810363

It has a great set up but was wondering if the lighting given in the examples (those who have actually read it) are enough and what should I look for along the lines of lights? The book says that lighting is probably the most expensive part of sw tanks and says they need to be very bright to keep corals in good shape.. any advice would be great :D

If anyone has a tank this size and wouldn't mind giving me their specs so I can 'copy' them and take them shopping with me I would be greatful too! :)

TIA

Wet dry

75g is usually a very good size tank, but depends on space and budget. Some people like to use sumps or wet dry. If you want a great wet dry go to www.aquaplumbers.com very good system there. You can fill it with bio ball, or lr rubble. there are pros and cons about the media used. Bio balls are cheap and with the use of a protein skimmer you can avoid nitrates. They are also lighter and doesn't require being submerged. But with lr rubble in your wet dry you usually don't have trouble with nitrates either. As far a lighting I use VHO, but compacts are very good too. I hope this helps

do you know what corals you are going to want to keep? That will determine the type of lighting you end up going with.

I'd like to get something thats really newbie friendly but works really well (easy but very effective?).. as for what I'd like to keep.. here is a list of things I'd consider, obviously not much of anything until I know my tank can handle it but these are things I'd like..

Purple Mushroom
Blue Mushroom
Pumping Xenia
Blastomussa Coral
Plate Coral
Candy Cane Coral
Branched Montipora Coral
Montipora Coral

liveaquaria.com's beginer coral packs may be what I end up getting, has some of the corals listed above in them :) Some of the aggressive ones, I'd need to study and talk to the LFS or someone about them before actually trying it out.. I'd like everything to co-exist peacefully! :) It all depends on what I can have access to at the time I begin to add them.

I bout power compacts but found that they take up allot of room by the time you get enough lighting ,i was told by other members that at least 5 watts per gal is what you want
I decided to change lights around and what I found was that vho lighting is nicer because it takes up less room and not expensive at all compaired to what I paid for the p.c
I bout the kit from one of the bigest companies called ice cap ,it came with the end plugs-wires- and the ballest and two 6ft long 165 watts each bulb for just under 200.00 which is not bad
the kit im talking about you mount the bulbs to the inside of the tank lid or even on a shelf or something to that affect that is over the tank
I built a custom hood for mine and put the lights in it as well as fans to keep cool
I dont know if know allot about lighting but I can tell you I didn't at one time and this all sounded like way over my head but it turns out I jumped in and just did it and it is not hard at all
the wiring for the do it your self kits are so basic and easy anyone can do it+

Back
Top Bottom