Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2004, 02:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Lighting

Which is the better of the compact lights out there?
Aqualight, Powercompact(with moonlight) or the new Powercompact " SmartLight ".
I have a 75GL tank, so it will be a 48" fixture.
I have fish and once i figure out the better light to go with, i will be adding coral and so. I have found all three of these lights around $224-$260 online. Just wanted peoples ideas on which would be a good light, one good enough for coral, and a good buy for long term use.
thanks
jeremy

Oh and on a different subject, what is a good and quiet ( tank is in my room for now ) Protein Skimmer for under $100 online.
thanks

Old 01-18-2004, 09:52 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Quote:
Protein Skimmer for under $100 online.
Probably nothing thats going to be good for a 75 gal tank.

My understanding is that the smart light is simply a 50/50 bulb. (not so smart to me) The PC with moonlight is just a power compact setup with some high output blue LED's in it. And I dont know what the aqualight is off the top of my head.

I think a better thing to be looking at would be how many bulbs and of what wattage are these fixtures.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 04:37 PM   #3

Well the Aqualight is the light from Coralife its 4x65 bulbs two 10,000k and two atinec, sam as with the powercompact
http://www.hellolights.com/484xcoraqpch.html
http://secure.microbyte.net/virtual/...re/detail.cfm?ID=CS25448&storeid=1
Old 01-18-2004, 04:44 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
What kidn of corals?

That would do for soft low light corals.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 05:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to Brisc0
I have two of the PC Moon-lite fixture on my 105G and they do a really nice job. The fan is a little loud, but aside from that I love the lights. If you get your corals in there and they are not doing well consider ditching one of the 03's and adding another 10K bulb in its place. The smartlite is only 2X65W 50/50's. I would avoid this light and go with the other if they are the two you have narrowed it down to. 2X65's especially 50/50's would be more ideal for a FOWLR than anything with corals IMO.

-105G SPS Reef with 30G Sump/Fuge Combo
-30G LTAnemonarium with mated porcelain crabs, 10 sexy shrimp, and 2 pink skunks all tied into the other 135G in my system.
Brisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2004, 09:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

i got a 48" 6x55w PC hood from www.petsupplyliquidator.com that i am very satisfied with. Ive heard a lot of complaints about the site recently but I had no problems at all. Only place i found that had a 6 lamp one that was 48".
Old 01-18-2004, 11:46 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
It really depends on what kind of corals you want to keep. One mistake I see a lot is folks thinking all they'll ever want to keep is soft corals that have low light requirements. Then, later, they want to try some SPS or maybe an anemone and have to buy a whole new lighting setup because the first one isn't intense enough. This is, in effect, spending money twice for lights. For not a lot more than you quoted, you could light this tank with MH and electronic ballasts. Then you would be in a position to keep whatever you wanted in the future. I'm not telling you that's what you have to have, but only that you need to really think about what kind of tank you want to have in the end. I wouldn't use the Smartlites either...I have a couple of them and I'm not too impressed with them. I would go with no less than a 4x65w and 6x65 would be better. You can DIY this setup if you have a canopy for less money.
As far as a skimmer for under $100, there isn't one. The smallest HOB skimmer I would suggest for this size tank is the Aqua C Remora Pro with a Mag 3 pump. This will cost you about $225. Or, you could probably go with a Berlin Classic HOB for close to the same price. The Berlin will require more room behind the tank though. You'll probably run across the Prizm and the Seaclone for less than $100. Don't waste your money...you'll end up having to upgrade later and you'll be stuck with a inferior skimmer that you can't use. The Prizm Pro would be an option, but IMO, the Aqua C is a much better skimmer.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:23 PM   #8

What about the PRO 75 wet/dry sump with skimmer? would that be a good choice to go with asfar as filter/skimmer, right now i only have a vulval 404 filter in the tank. thanks

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com