Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nothingbutfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What's a good lighting system for fowlr. I was looking into the double bright LED lighting from marineland... Any suggestions

That light will be fine for fish only - but just so you know it won't support any corals or anemones. It's a great looking fixture for fish though!

Yep, that light would be fine for a fish only setup. Will make the water shimmer and your fish should look great under it. :)

But like said above it will not support corals so if you go in that direction one day you will have to upgrade.

I don't plan on having coral just live rock and anemone's. what's the best lighting for anemones?

You need much stronger light than the marineland fixture. What size tank is this?

FYI- if you add an anemone to the tank it is no longer considered a FOWLR.

Well I was thinking a 20 gallon not sure if I want it to be a 20 high or 20 long.

I don't plan on having coral just live rock and anemone's.

i knew that employee was wrong! i shoulda just put the anemone in my fowlr anyways:banghead:
all kidding aside, you will need stronger lighting than a double bright fixture if you plan on housing anemones.
instead of double-bright, id look at their reef capable fixtures
amazon has the 18-24" reef capable fixture for around $180.
specs are as follows-
# of white leds-18
white led wattage-1w
# of blue leds-3
blue led wattage-1w
total wattage w/ b+w on- about 21 watts.
lumens-1300
price- 180.93 with free shipping

and now a similarly priced and comparable TaoTronics fixture (on amazon)
# of white leds-27
white led wattage-3w
# of blue leds-28
blue led wattage-3w
total wattage w b+w on- about 120 watts
lumens- roughly 5500
price- $179.99 with free shipping ;)

im sure that the Marineland fixtures are decent sets and for a given need they do fairly well, but as you can see, there are other choices out there that are roughly the same price yet offer so much more growing potential and flexibility ( marinelands come preprogrammed with a light schedule, TaoTronics B and W are on separate plugs, therefore allowing timers).
im sure that the Tao unit on a 20g will need to be dialed back but the nice part about it is that you have the light on hand if you decide to house higher-light corals or decide to upgrade to a bigger tank.

I just found the reef capable fixture on amazon I wasn't sure if there were other fixtures but ill look up the other lighting system and maybe give that a try it sounds like you like that fixture have you used it before

I havent myself and tbh it was the first comparable unit i came across so i used it to compare, however i have heard of alot of people using them on here and i really havent heard anything negative about them

Who is growing corals under the double bright fixture? I was under the impression they were weak and didn't penetrate well, even though the name would have you think so.
I don't think the finnex ray's are as high output as they say either. For instance, a 24" fixture only puts out 20 watts. Hardly enough IME.
I would stay away from both of those.

Back
Top Bottom