Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-30-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaStarr

Innovator, Yes we are defiantly going to add some fans and/or vents to the top of the canopy, and I am going to make them decide on if they want more passive slow moving lions or fast aggressive triggers. Would it make sense to recommend triggers b/c the faster the fish the faster it can get away from an eel of need be?

I found a real nice small tesselata at a lfs by my apt who is in a 200 gal with a zebra moray a panther grouper and a puffer. The owner said that it has been in the tank for over a year with no problems. This was the tesselata i was going to recommend my friends buy.
If you do purchase a tesselata then I would recommend triggers due to their hardiness, strength, and speed. Personally, I would rather go with the more docile zebra due to their crustacean preference and not having to worry about the other inhabitants becoming a meal or making a meal of you. They also attain 2-3ft compared to the tesselata at 6ft.

The 1" rule does not conform to fish girth nor a particular niche so I wouldn't rely upon it. As long as you have oversized filtration (you will need it to be), then there would be no reason why you cannot have several species of fish...pending whether you go with a tesselata.

Old 05-02-2007, 01:35 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
I like snails, nassarius and cerith snails make great additions. In that size tank, you could get quite a few turbo snails also.
Thanks roka! I never thought of snails, and no one would really mind if they were made into a meal b/c they arent expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovator
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaStarr

Innovator, Yes we are defiantly going to add some fans and/or vents to the top of the canopy, and I am going to make them decide on if they want more passive slow moving lions or fast aggressive triggers. Would it make sense to recommend triggers b/c the faster the fish the faster it can get away from an eel of need be?

I found a real nice small tesselata at a lfs by my apt who is in a 200 gal with a zebra moray a panther grouper and a puffer. The owner said that it has been in the tank for over a year with no problems. This was the tesselata i was going to recommend my friends buy.
If you do purchase a tesselata then I would recommend triggers due to their hardiness, strength, and speed. Personally, I would rather go with the more docile zebra due to their crustacean preference and not having to worry about the other inhabitants becoming a meal or making a meal of you. They also attain 2-3ft compared to the tesselata at 6ft.

The 1" rule does not conform to fish girth nor a particular niche so I wouldn't rely upon it. As long as you have oversized filtration (you will need it to be), then there would be no reason why you cannot have several species of fish...pending whether you go with a tesselata.
Im pretty sure that they REALLY want a tesselata, so I will tell them they cannot have lions... unless they want it to be eel or trigger food. I love the zebra eel but they dont really like it because it is missing the top fin that some eels (like tesselata) have.

We are adding a skimmer and a sump (for the messy eels) and are only going to go with about 4 fish and 2 big MAYBE 3 eels.

I updated the stocking list a lil... actually I pretty much changed the whole thing. Thanks again for all your help and please bear with me ( I am new to FOWLR) and offer any suggestions you may have.

- Yellowhead (fimbriated) eel
- Tessalatta eel (I know, I know about these 2 eels, but they really want them)
- MAYBE one more eel (Any Suggestions?)
- Chevron Tang
- Harlequin Tusk
- Clown Trigger or Undulate (which would be better, Undulate b/c clown may be too agressive?, maybe skip triggers all together, or any other suggestions?)
- Adult Red Coris Wrasse
- Any fish sugesstions instead? Remember they only have to be hardy & colorful.

Thanks again, I hope this list is more compatable.

Old 05-02-2007, 02:04 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

I don't recommend any other eels with a tesselata. The tang and tuskfish are not robust enough to my liking in and around the confines of a tesselata. The undulated is one of the most aggressive triggers you can house, moreso than the clown trigger. The adult Coris is a possibility. Perhaps your best bet is a trigger, wrasse, an assortment of damsels, and very large tangs such as Naso...

Just realize that tesselatas are very unpredictable and as they age/grow the likelihood of them snagging tankmates also grows.

Tags
light, lighting, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com