Lighting fixture vs Retro kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdwire

Aquarium Advice Regular
apologies if this has been discussed but I did searches and could not find. I am upgrading my FOWLR to reef and need to purchase lighting. Trying to decide between a sit on top lighting fixture (eg Coralife Aqualight or JBL Formosa) vs a retrofit kit inside a hood. I do not currently have a hood but could build one easily. Are there advantages to a retofit kit? Other advantages of a hood? Thanx in advance for any advice.

Are there advantages to a retofit kit?

Yes, IMO the retrokit gives maximum flexability because its a custom build by you or someone else. Usually covering the entire tank. This also ends up giving you more room for the bulbs to be spaced or for things to be added/changed at a later date. A prebuilt hood is basicly how it is when it was built and if you want to change things then your better off buying a new one.

If your deadly afriad of doing your own wiring then a retrokit might not be for you but honestly the wiring is not that hard and most kits come with great instructions.

Back
Top Bottom