Lighting for a 25G FOWLR evolving to reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canadian_eh

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm starting out a new 25G FOWLR tank which will likely end up as a reef ( this is quite an addiction and I don't even own anything yet!)

My question is on how much light I need for the 2 setups. For the FOWLR I've read a bunch of times that the basic NO lighting will do but I want to make sure that all the macro algae etc on the lr survives...will this happen or will I need more light to at least keep the full life on the rock? No sense paying to import lr.com rock to Canada only to have most of the cool stuff die off...

So I definitely forsee wanting to add some corals in the future. How much lighting is required for most corals. I don't know too too much about the different corals yet so I can't say which ones I want yet but in general how much is enough?

What I was thinking of doing is getting a 2x55w PC from ahsupply or other online store and only running the 1 tube for the FOWLR and then add the 2nd tube when I want to add corals?

Does that sound reasonable?

Thanks.

I think your plan is reasonable. You could probably run both tubes even, and not run into problems as long as your nitrates and phosphates stay low (these fuel algae growth)
If you want the corals looking sweet you'll want an actinic03 bulb in the mix.

canadian_eh said:
No sense paying to import lr.com rock to Canada only to have most of the cool stuff die off...
Actually I think you will find it near impossible to bring anything across yourself without a special permit. Dry base rock is permitted, LR isn't as a rule. There are several online Canadian e-tailers you should be able to get decent deals from.

What I was thinking of doing is getting a 2x55w PC from ahsupply or other online store and only running the 1 tube for the FOWLR and then add the 2nd tube when I want to add corals?
Might want to look local for this too. J&L Aquatics is a great resource and relativley inexspensive. For a 2x55w Retro fit it would be $204.95 CAN ($150.00 USD) which would include the bulbs.

Cheers
Steve

For my 20 gallon, I ran the ahsupply 2x55 watt with 1 actinic and 1 10K bulb when my tank was FOWLR. Now that I've become more addicted, I run the 2x55's both actinic along with a 175watt MH 10K lamp. Gives a lot more freedom in what photosynthetic creatures I can keep...mainly a nice T. crocea clam. I would seriously consider the MH lamp if you plan on going full reef.

Back
Top Bottom