lighting for epaulette shark

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brad3314

Aquarium Advice Activist
i'm going to be transfering an epaulette shark form my girlfriends tank into mine just wondering what lighting conditions they like i was going to be putting a MH on it but i'm thinking it might be to much should i just go normal fluros

NO lighting will be fine. As with any animal, you will need to photo-acclimate your tank if you do upgrade your lighting.

there will also be a clown in there and a soft coral so say i might want light so i can actually see them will a MH be ok i do need the MH to bring the coral back as it's had a bit of a hard run

NO lighting will be fine. As with any animal, you will need to photo-acclimate your tank if you do upgrade your lighting.

by that you mean run the same lighting as the previous tank then ? and slowly up them to MH would that be ok i just want the light to bring the coral back

What do you mean by "bring the coral back"? Can you offer more details on your tank...size, age, filtration, other livestock, etc.?

the coral was originally in my tank until i decided to pull my tank apart then i moved it to my girlfriends tank and she only has fluros which hasn't gone so well for it it's not dead but just not nothing like it used to be i'm hoping i can get it back the way it was.

the tank has been empty for a while now so it'll be a new setup i'm aware that the tank will have to be setup for a fair while before adding the shark i know what i'm doing i don't need answers for anything else i'm only asking about lighting can an epaulette shark live under a MH ??????

Last edited:
i know what i'm doing i don't need answers for anything else i'm only asking about lighting can an epaulette shark live under a MH ??????

Obviously you dont know. These are not the most hardiest of fish. They are recommended for experts only and they are not reef safe. You are talking about putting corals with this fish? They also need at least a 180 gallon tank. You might not care for the fish and corals but we do.

Ahh yes...it would certainly appear you know what you are doing:-?
I suspect there is far more wrong with your system then simple lighting...especially if you are keepping a shark. Besides, your question on lighting is a bit elementary...you must have skipped that part on your way up the knowledge ladder huh?

well thankyou for the such kind comments i think i might go elsewhere now !!!

AND FYI

1. The shark is only around 15cm long

2. The move is only temporary a month or two at the most until he will go into a bigger tank !! in the mean time i'm sure the tank i have is plenty big enough for him.

3. We have owned this shark over 12 months without any hassles in a large enough tank and has been fine with the coral and it's the only bit of coral in the tank he has never touched it.

i've kept fresh and salt water tanks long enough to know what your telling me who would attempt to keep such a thing if they didn't.

I also care for everything that goes in our tanks otherwise why would i bother spending hours and hours a week making sure things are as best they can be for them.

never thought it would be such a hassle to ask one simple question !!!!!!!

Thankyou and goodbye !!

That`s up to you. This is a community that tells you their knowledge and experiences. You can either take it or leave it. That part does not bother me but when you insist we just tell you what you want to hear then I cant go along with that. I am able to post my references if you need me to. As far as the fish, people put fish in too small a tank and everything is just fine until all of a sudden fish and tank have all kind of problems. And as far as the coral I had a fish that took 4 yrs before he went coral nipping. He about killed my tank before I caught him. So you see I`m not just drawing some things up. I`ve had much experience with this.

Thought I'd chime in, that is if you are still paying attention to this thread. If I have not misread, there were no dimmensions given as to the size of display this animal will be housed in nor future housing size? Depending on the depth, metal halides could be used, but taking care as to not overlight and cause radiation suntan. If you plan to house soft corals in this tank then metal halides are not needed and PC's or T5's can be used. Be aware that although this animal will not consume corals, it may trample over and around them causing tissue recession from non-expansion or possible damage. Majority of crustaceans and polychaetes will also be consumed with the possibility of slow moving fish. Actual display size may vary depending on specie, which I believe you also did not relay, but on average a 500g display would be adequate for long-term care/adulthood. Being that this animal has been kept for at least 1yr (juvenile) and is only about 6" might be a concern in comparison to averages.

Last edited:
I`m still paying attention to this thread James and thanks for the info. I do have several references that say that this fish is not reef safe so I am curious about that. That is good info about the lighting.

"Reef Safe" is a very broad term defining the health of invertebrates (some references include fish) within your aquarium, but considering that the majority of animals we keep do live off of the "reef" in one way or another, I question the terms viability. Epaulettes and other Elasmobranch spp. do not feed upon corals, but the possibility of physical damage and causing tissue recession remains. All other inhabitants are fair game and moreso in small confines.

Back
Top Bottom