Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

lighting for epaulette shark

i'm going to be transfering an epaulette shark form my girlfriends tank into mine just wondering what lighting conditions they like i was going to be putting a MH on it but i'm thinking it might be to much should i just go normal fluros

Old 01-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

NO lighting will be fine. As with any animal, you will need to photo-acclimate your tank if you do upgrade your lighting.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree. Nothing special is needed for the fish.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

there will also be a clown in there and a soft coral so say i might want light so i can actually see them will a MH be ok i do need the MH to bring the coral back as it's had a bit of a hard run
Old 01-12-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lando View Post
NO lighting will be fine. As with any animal, you will need to photo-acclimate your tank if you do upgrade your lighting.
by that you mean run the same lighting as the previous tank then ? and slowly up them to MH would that be ok i just want the light to bring the coral back
Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

What do you mean by "bring the coral back"? Can you offer more details on your tank...size, age, filtration, other livestock, etc.?
Old 01-13-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

the coral was originally in my tank until i decided to pull my tank apart then i moved it to my girlfriends tank and she only has fluros which hasn't gone so well for it it's not dead but just not nothing like it used to be i'm hoping i can get it back the way it was.

the tank has been empty for a while now so it'll be a new setup i'm aware that the tank will have to be setup for a fair while before adding the shark i know what i'm doing i don't need answers for anything else i'm only asking about lighting can an epaulette shark live under a MH ??????
Old 01-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad3314 View Post
i know what i'm doing i don't need answers for anything else i'm only asking about lighting can an epaulette shark live under a MH ??????
Obviously you dont know. These are not the most hardiest of fish. They are recommended for experts only and they are not reef safe. You are talking about putting corals with this fish? They also need at least a 180 gallon tank. You might not care for the fish and corals but we do.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:34 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ahh yes...it would certainly appear you know what you are doing
I suspect there is far more wrong with your system then simple lighting...especially if you are keepping a shark. Besides, your question on lighting is a bit elementary...you must have skipped that part on your way up the knowledge ladder huh?
Old 01-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

well thankyou for the such kind comments i think i might go elsewhere now !!!

AND FYI

1. The shark is only around 15cm long

2. The move is only temporary a month or two at the most until he will go into a bigger tank !! in the mean time i'm sure the tank i have is plenty big enough for him.

3. We have owned this shark over 12 months without any hassles in a large enough tank and has been fine with the coral and it's the only bit of coral in the tank he has never touched it.

i've kept fresh and salt water tanks long enough to know what your telling me who would attempt to keep such a thing if they didn't.

I also care for everything that goes in our tanks otherwise why would i bother spending hours and hours a week making sure things are as best they can be for them.

never thought it would be such a hassle to ask one simple question !!!!!!!

Thankyou and goodbye !!

Tags
light, lighting, shark

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com