Lighting for FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pearsont74

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How many watts should I have for a FOWLR? Im wanting to get my 80gal up and goin and having a tough time deciding on what to do....bottom line is right now I dont have enough money to get lighting to house corals and some of the fish I really want is not reef safe so Im thinking of just having some LR and LS and fish....maybe a few inverts...ones that wont be killed by the fish I decide on.
I have 2 double HO fixtures that can hold 40 watt tubes....40 X 4 = 160 watts....is that over kill for FOWLR?
I figured I can get up and running with this and save for the lighting I need and just swap it out in the custom hood I build.

Any thoughts??

Lighting for a fowlr is pretty much a personal preference. You will be fine with the lighting you have. 160w is definitely not over-kill.

Mike

Trust me when I say this- You may eventually go from FOWLR to a reef setup. In this case, get some lighting that you can use later on. What I mean by that is to get some PC's or HO's where you can add some metal halides to later. I'm saying this because a lot of time, people in this hobby will buy lighting for a FOWLR tank, and then it's pretty much useless when they decide to go reef a year later.

Know what I mean?

Definently but when you can get HO double light fixtures that I have for $10 a piece...Im not too concerned if I can use them later or whatnot :)

What you have is fine and plenty of light for a fowlr... The only thing you might want to look into is the bulbs that you have. I changed out my bulbs to get a nice color to the tank and bring out the colors in the fish. Not sure what bulbs your running.

I also agree that 4x40 HO bulbs should suffice for FOWLR. Probably 1 actinic adn the other 3 daylight. Without corals you shouldn't need much actinic spectrum, but it'll help color the fish and not make the tank seem 'bleached out'.

what about things like feather dusters and anemones....i plan to hold off on anemones until my tank has been up and running and stable...probably like mths from what i read....but do i need to increase the lighting alot for them?

Well for most of them You will need a mh or vho's at the least. From what your describing why not go to hd and get a $15.00 light set up and if you change your mind you can use it for something else, then upgrade to the expensive light set up. Your a good year from an anemone anyway.

Back
Top Bottom