Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-11-2003, 12:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lighting question

I am preparing to set up a 55 gal FOWLR and was wondering what type of lighting I will need. I don't think I will have any coral for now, so I am not too concerned about upgrading for now. What I have now is the original hood and lights that came with the tank. I was wondering if I could just put new bulbs in the existing light strips and be okay. They are two 24" strips. They currently have 19 watt bulbs in them. Would a higher wattage bulb in the light strips be okay? Thanks!

Old 11-11-2003, 12:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
With FOWLR the NO bulbs would be okay, the only problem would be if your LR came with any hitchhikers that need higher light. Usually with the NO bulbs you need to buy longer to get more wattage and they won't fit in the fixture you have. Two 19 watts would probably be fine until you get the reef bug get a good color temp bulb like a 50/50 actinic/10000kelvin

Old 11-11-2003, 12:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

If the LR does come with some hitchhikers, could I just get the 50/50 bulbs and put them in the original light fixtures? Or would I have to buy a new lighting system (really don't have the cash to do this, or I would do it anyway)
Old 11-11-2003, 12:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
You can get the 50/50 bulbs in any length and wattage. I think 50/50 is the Coralife name for that bulb, check you LFS. The mix of blue and white light from one bulb gives a good natural look to the tank. If you ever want to upgrade you could go to compact fluorescents. I think 55 watt compacts are like 22 inches and you could fit one in each of your current strips. Two 55 watters wouldn't be much light if you keep corals but would be fine for FO.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com