Lighting question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay179

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am currently cycling my tank. I have been running the 2 ultraviolet bulbs 24 hours a day. I do have have a third bulb that runs by itself but is not currently working(bought aquarium used). I was wondering when I add fish should I run the two bulbs all the time or should I change the lighting during the course of the day. Thanks

I hope you mean actinic, not UV. You DO NOT want any UV radiation in your tank...unless of course you don't want anything alive.

Also, there is no reason to ever run your lighting 24hrs/day (not including moonlights). Fish need darkness to sleep and photosynthesis can not function properly in corals with a 24 hr light cycle.

I agree with Larry that you need a lighting cycle just like they would experience out in the wild. What type lighting system do you have and what`s the watts of the bulbs?

I am sorry they are not uv lights. They are regular bulbs. My tank is a FOWLR.

They are regular bulbs not UV. My tank is a FOWLR. So I should run my tank in total darkness during the night? I have two regular bulbs that are working and one bulb that has a separate power cord that does not work. There are 3 regular bulbs total under my lid.

Can I buy a moonlight bulb to run at nightime?

Can I buy a moonlight bulb to run at nightime?

Does Jay need to run the lights at all or for what time while cycling? I know the question is about "when I get fish", but looks like he's running them 24/7 while cycling too. Jay, did I get that right?

You dont need to run the lights at all during the cycle. Less nuisance algea that way.

Yes, I changed the lighting schedule. I started to not run them at night. My tank did cycle and I have a couple of yellowtail damsels.

Back
Top Bottom