Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

for lighting you will want to try to get 10k and acitinic they do not have to have seprate switches to work .My light on the 7GMB is 72 watts pc lighting 1 50/50 and one acitinic there is only one switch . Moons are also not required they are mainly used for your viewing at nite time.... tho some argue that it encourages spawning . I really do not have an opinion one way or the other on that subject... the light on the 10 also has 72 watts pc same combo as above 50/50 and acitinc with 2 switches that just allowes me to have a diffrent program sequence than on the 7 GMB 2 swithces are nice but not required ...
Perhaps you can better discribe your lights are they just normal looking floruecent bulbs or are they "U" shaped with a plug on the end ?
As Roka said picts of the bulbs will help also the wattage will be printed on most bulbs on one end or the other ...

10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

it states 36W white and pink.SHL. it came w the HETO 24" light casing/set

just another question..i cant seem to get my nitrate below 40.i checked ystrday and today after doing a 30% PWC..its still the same. im using tap water though.dechlorined and left 24hrs to cycle with a powerhead. i know i should be using RO/DI water but at this point in time..i dont have it.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
What are your nitrAtes out of your tap? Can you updat "my info" with your tank size/equipment/critters? This will help us help you.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:38 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
What are your nitrAtes out of your tap? Can you updat "my info" with your tank size/equipment/critters? This will help us help you.
Its less than 5. i have 1 hermit,4 snails,1 damsel & 1 clown. previously my tank was overpopulated and i realised ive over fed (twice a day).becos of that most of my fishes died and the damsel n clown are the only ones ive managed to salvage. ive been trying to get my nitrates down by doing pwc's till it gets a nice reading.after that ill go for 10% weekly pwc's. but sadly i cant seem to get it down. pls advice. my fishes are doing fine though. im hoping to maintain a 10-20 reading.

Will a powerhead help?actually ive asked this in the Nano forum already.

ive also updated my profile.maybe now everyone knows wat setup i have and pls do advice if theres things to be added or ditched. my intentions is to get some moderate lighting corals after i get the nits stabled.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:12 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

As for the nitrAtes I would seriously consider switching your H20 source to either distilled or RO/DI ... do your water change then weekly 10-20% water changes there after it will take a few changes of H20 to get the nitrAtes down so dont panic, it may take up to 4 to start seeing a steady decline you should see some decline with the first couple but give it time to get it to 0 regular changes are key to keeping them in check as to the lights sounds like regular old NO lights . If this is the case I would suggest diffrent lighting if you are seriously considering corals .
10 gallon ~6.5 gallon custom
Sadielynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:15 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
If your nitrAtes are under 5 from your tap, that is your problem. I woud invest in an RO/DI units, like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-6-stage-100-...QQcmdZViewItem
I don't think you will ever get them under control, if you are replacing your water with more nitrAtes.
A ph would help, with water movement, to keep a stable pH and alleviate dead spots, but not for nitrAtes.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 01:50 AM   #17

For a 15 I would go with 1 150 pendant with a 14k bulb(No acintic needed) but it needs to be up off the water a little.

My new 2 250's are about 7" above the water.

Or T5's on a tank that size could work wonders.

Tags
light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com