Lighting question for new FOWLR + More

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrbill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi folks,

I have a 46 gallon up and running with 20 lbs LR and 20 lbs base rock. No fish yet. For lighting I just have a standard aquarium hood with one 20 watt bulb. I also am using another standard hood off of a 20 gallon tank with a 20 watt bulb. I plan on upgrading lighting at some point.

My LR (from the LFS) looks bland and boring with the standard lights. When it's out of the tank (I had it out during aquascaping) it's a bit more colorful. Are there any good NO 20 watt bulbs I could use for now that would make my LR look a little nicer, maybe even promoting coraline growth? Or do I really need to bite the bullet and get new lighting now? If so, any recomendations? I do not see myself ever going beyond a FOWLR tank. I know, that's what they all say. I was really interested in the moonlight fixture, but since they're going out of business I'm not anymore.

My other question is this. I'm just about ready to get a couple fish. I'm interested in a Clown & Tang. I think we all know where that idea came from... :wink: Are these good fish to have in a 46 gallon bowfront? Should I get them both at the same time, as the first fish in the tank?

That's it for now...I'll post pics soon.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

My LR (from the LFS) looks bland and boring with the standard lights. When it's out of the tank (I had it out during aquascaping) it's a bit more colorful. Are there any good NO 20 watt bulbs I could use for now that would make my LR look a little nicer, maybe even promoting coraline growth? Or do I really need to bite the bullet and get new lighting now? If so, any recomendations? I do not see myself ever going beyond a FOWLR tank. I know, that's what they all say. I was really interested in the moonlight fixture, but since they're going out of business I'm not anymore.

You don't have enough light to promote coraline growth or even maintain it. I would recommend a 2 X 65W PC, 1 actinic and 1 10K, you could probably get away with a single 96W PC 10K.

My other question is this. I'm just about ready to get a couple fish. I'm interested in a Clown & Tang. I think we all know where that idea came from... Are these good fish to have in a 46 gallon bowfront? Should I get them both at the same time, as the first fish in the tank?

Tangs are not recommended for tanks less that 4ft in length. The Regal Tang (Paracanthurus hepatis aka Dory) probably shouldn't be kept in a tank less than 6ft in length. Depending on the other fish you want, would determine stocking order.

I forgot one other question. I have a 4" sand bed. Should I get some type of cleanup crew in there? If so, what should I get, and how many for a 46 gallon tank? Should they go in before the fish?

I would start with the clean up crew, then start slowly adding fish.

As for the link, I'm not nuts about hermits in the clean up crew.

I'd look at Nassarius snails, cerrith snails, nerites snails, trochus snails and maybe a couple of fighting conchs. You should also make sure you have plenty of fauna in your sandbed, bristle worms, pods etc...

And what type of plants might be cool for my tank? It needs some pizazz...

We're back to that reef thing your not envisioning ;)

We're back to that reef thing your not envisioning

Thanks Kevin, you know, your right! Damn! Maybe I will want more than a FOWLR after all...I love that 20 gallon in your gallery, it's really beautiful. What type of lighting do you have on that? Would the lighting you suggested be enough for something like that someday, or would I need something more hardcore? Is that something I can aspire to? My big fear about a full blown reef is the maintenance. I am admitedly pretty lazy.

I thought the tang might not work out. Oh well, no Dory. Do you know where I can get a cleanup crew like you suggest, including the fauna?

Thanks again Kevin!

For the record, I didn't say Darn...

LOL, word filter ;)

I love that 20 gallon in your gallery, it's really beautiful. What type of lighting do you have on that?

On my 20. I have a 175W MH and 2 X 32W PC actinics, the tank is 12" tall.

Would the lighting you suggested be enough for something like that someday, or would I need something more hardcore?

You would need to go more hardcore, even if you don't go the SPS route, you'll need more than what I suggested.

Is that something I can aspire to? My big fear about a full blown reef is the maintenance. I am admitedly pretty lazy.

If you go with the PCs suggested now, if you get the itch, you can add MH down the road, or simply add more PCs. I don't spend a whole lot of time on maintenance on mine, I'm fairly lazy myself ;)

Do you know where I can get a cleanup crew like you suggest, including the fauna?

You can get the fauna from inlandaquatics.com, they might also have the clean up crew. Check with CaptiveRaisedCorals.com, I know he was trying to get a clean up package together.

Thanks for all your help Kevin. More questions...

What is the reason you're so against any type of crabs in your tank? It seems all the "cleanup crew" deals out there come with some type of crab. Also, since my tank is new there isn't much in there for the cleanup crew to eat, except some brown algae. So how many snails would you suggest I get to start? 1 per gallon seems like an awful lot for an otherwise empty tank.

The Fauna kits out there seem very expensive. Since I have 40 lbs of live rock, do you think I may have pods/worms already? I have not seen any evidence of life in the tank, other than the algae that is...

And finally, is there any reason a fauna kit would be better than some LS or LR form www.liverocks.com? The price is comparible for both.

Thanks again.

Bill

well i have the same tank as you do. i put 36 lbs of live rock in it like a month ago and just added a clean up crew and a clown fish. the clean up crew i got from liveaquaria.com. i just got the 30 gal one with the deluxe upgrade. it came with 13 turbo, i think 20 dwarf red tip hermits and i think like 7 scarlet reef hermits. then with the deluxe upgrade i got one big abalone snail. it is like 3 in long all of that was 106 with shipping (over night saturday). and for lighting i got the CSL 36" PC with the moon lights. i have 2 96 watt bulbs and 3 moon lights. it looks vary nice. and in a few month i will upgrade to some MH with the PC.

Thanks, I'm looking at that same lighting right now on eBay. I'm a little concerned since CSL has gone out of business, but I may go for it anyway.

I've been thinking about those too, but I'm not too sure...what color are they? They look like a silver/bronze color in the pics. I kind of wanted black. Also, I really liked that moonlight feature that CSL has, but I'm not totally against the idea of sticking a couple into a coralife hood if they would fit. I see you've taken CSL of your site altogether...

What is the reason you're so against any type of crabs in your tank?

Crabs are evil!!!!

IMO, there are very few crabs that are actually herbivorous, some are noted for eating algae simply cause it s easier than catching a fish and maybe tastes better than coral, but if their preferred food source runs out they are gonna eat, and it might be your prize clam they decide to eat. Almost all hermits I have seen will kill snails for their shells, etc...

seems all the "cleanup crew" deals out there come with some type of crab

Many places have build your own kits. My tank has been crab free for about 8 months and I have not noticed an increase in anything. If I were gonna do some crabs, I would go with the dwarf zebra (left hand) hermits.

So how many snails would you suggest I get to start? 1 per gallon seems like an awful lot for an otherwise empty tank.

Agreed, I'd start with 10-15 assorted snails and maybe 10 nassarius snails for the sand bed. If you find they can't keep up, you can always add more.

The Fauna kits out there seem very expensive. Since I have 40 lbs of live rock, do you think I may have pods/worms already? I have not seen any evidence of life in the tank, other than the algae that is...

They are expensive but worth it. You can also go with a few cups or lbs of live sand, I like to exchange live sand with other reefers as often as possible to increase the diversity of the fauna in my sand.

And finally, is there any reason a fauna kit would be better than some LS or LR form www.liverocks.com? The price is comparible for both.

The only reason I would think would be you might get a greater diversity of critters from the fauna kit, the LS from liverocks.com may not have as large a diversity, but the best case scenario would be to get both 8O

Back
Top Bottom