Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
That's ridiculous. Total darkness is fine.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
That's ridiculous. Total darkness is fine.
I have read allot of your post and you seam to be very knowledgable .
Protein skimming :
I bought a coralife 125 used .
I finally got it to work without overflowing by making the intake deeper then suggested ,
I put a shut off on the intake but haven't had to restrict it yet .
It's been running for a few days but having a issue with allot of micro bubbles in my tank .
Yes it is a Hang on .
What would you suggest ?
And one more question .
Have you heard of the vodka method ?
I heard vinegar and sugar will do the same .
__________________

__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Give the skimmer some time to settle in. Yes, I've lowered nutrient levels with a carbon source like vodka before, but if you stay consistent with water changes and feed reasonably, you shouldn't have a need for any dosing.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
SaltwaterNuB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rocklin, ca
Posts: 791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post

I have read allot of your post and you seam to be very knowledgable .
Protein skimming :
I bought a coralife 125 used .
I finally got it to work without overflowing by making the intake deeper then suggested ,
I put a shut off on the intake but haven't had to restrict it yet .
It's been running for a few days but having a issue with allot of micro bubbles in my tank .
Yes it is a Hang on .
What would you suggest ?
And one more question .
Have you heard of the vodka method ?
I heard vinegar and sugar will do the same .
Mr X is great! He's very knowledgable! He's answers a ton of my questions. This forum is great if you're new to the salt water scene.
__________________
SaltwaterNuB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterNuB View Post

Mr X is great! He's very knowledgable! He's answers a ton of my questions. This forum is great if you're new to the salt water scene.
I am new to saltwater .
I did have a 30 gal setup 15 years ago but didn't know anything about the hobby and jumped in .
This time I researched allot asked a few questions and want to have a healthy thriving reef .
I am starting with FOWLR and will grow from there .
I finally added my first occupants over the weekend .
10 blue leg hermit crabs .
Next weekend 10 more, a few clown fish .
What would a sand sifting goby be like ?
Is it too early for him ?
The LFS has anemones on sale and thinking I want one .
__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Rutrag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmckoy View Post
I am new to saltwater .
I did have a 30 gal setup 15 years ago but didn't know anything about the hobby and jumped in .
This time I researched allot asked a few questions and want to have a healthy thriving reef .
I am starting with FOWLR and will grow from there .
I finally added my first occupants over the weekend .
10 blue leg hermit crabs .
Next weekend 10 more, a few clown fish .
What would a sand sifting goby be like ?
Is it too early for him ?
The LFS has anemones on sale and thinking I want one .
I would advise against an anemone as a beginner. They require just as much attention to detail as a reef aquarium does. Most would advise to have your aquarium stable at least six months and many as long as a year before trying one. I'd also wait on any sand-sifting species fo anything as they can sometimes be finicky, unless you're referring to a watchman goby. they are generally pretty hearty, but ask to see it eat before you buy.

What size tank do you have? I would keep only two clownfish unless you have a very large (150 gallon plus) tank. All clowns are born make with a dominiant fish turnign female. They tend to form a pair and then will not allow other clowns in their territory (generally the whole tank). In the tank, that means the less aggressive fish end up beaten up.

Please note, clowns do not NEED an anemone. Many captive bred clowns have never seen one and have no idea what to do with it. Many choose other items to be their host. I have an ocellaris clown that has taken up residence in a deresa clam, and ignores a long tentacle anemone about six inches away from the clam. In another tank, I have a cinammon clown who used to live in the long tentalce anemone, until I removed it when I put a hadoni anemone in that tank. I actively avoided the hadoni for at least three months until one day it just started cozying up to it.

Finally, whatever you decide to do, go slow with adding livestock and quarantine fish before putting them in your display. Almost everyone on the forum has gone through a round with crypt (marine ich). I'd say it's the most common actual disease in a saltwater aquarium. It's very treatable, but not with any inverebrates, live rock, or sand in the aquarium. It's a whole ot easier to prevent a mass infection in your display by treating one or two fish in isolation.
__________________
It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labelling.
Rutrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutrag View Post

I would advise against an anemone as a beginner. They require just as much attention to detail as a reef aquarium does. Most would advise to have your aquarium stable at least six months and many as long as a year before trying one. I'd also wait on any sand-sifting species fo anything as they can sometimes be finicky, unless you're referring to a watchman goby. they are generally pretty hearty, but ask to see it eat before you buy.

What size tank do you have? I would keep only two clownfish unless you have a very large (150 gallon plus) tank. All clowns are born make with a dominiant fish turnign female. They tend to form a pair and then will not allow other clowns in their territory (generally the whole tank). In the tank, that means the less aggressive fish end up beaten up.

Please note, clowns do not NEED an anemone. Many captive bred clowns have never seen one and have no idea what to do with it. Many choose other items to be their host. I have an ocellaris clown that has taken up residence in a deresa clam, and ignores a long tentacle anemone about six inches away from the clam. In another tank, I have a cinammon clown who used to live in the long tentalce anemone, until I removed it when I put a hadoni anemone in that tank. I actively avoided the hadoni for at least three months until one day it just started cozying up to it.

Finally, whatever you decide to do, go slow with adding livestock and quarantine fish before putting them in your display. Almost everyone on the forum has gone through a round with crypt (marine ich). I'd say it's the most common actual disease in a saltwater aquarium. It's very treatable, but not with any inverebrates, live rock, or sand in the aquarium. It's a whole ot easier to prevent a mass infection in your display by treating one or two fish in isolation.
Taking it slow seams to be the way I have been going so far .
When I said a few clown I only want 2 but not sure yet .
I know they will choose what to host and doesn't have to be anemones but they are nice.
All my parameters have been good .
I know I need more or a clean up crew.
I like crabs , and was thinking maybe 10-20 more over time .
I have a 70 gal
It has about 60-75 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs live sand .
I am looking for close to 100 lbs more rock .
But I know I have a anxious daughter who has been bugging for 2 months to buy a fish . Lol
__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:55 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
SaltwaterNuB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Rocklin, ca
Posts: 791
+100^^^ great advice. Start out slow. There a a ton of people that rush an end up losing their tanks due to inpatients I've had my tank running for about 8 months. I have the intentions of it being fowlr, but recently added a handful of zoas and polys. Go slow an follow forum. Keep us posted with pics.
__________________
SaltwaterNuB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:18 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Rmckoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Give the skimmer some time to settle in. Yes, I've lowered nutrient levels with a carbon source like vodka before, but if you stay consistent with water changes and feed reasonably, you shouldn't have a need for any dosing.
Hi mr x
I have a few questions .
Everything seams to be going great
I added 10 blue legged hermit crabs I didn't think they were that active .
I am a little concerned with my parameters after I started carbon dosing with vinegar .
Nitrate : 15ppm
Phosphate : 0
PH : 8.4
KH : 14
Gravity: 1.023
Ammonia and nitrite are both 0 ppm
I am planning on purchasing 10 more crabs this weekend ,
2 clown fish
1 anemone
Are these parameters acceptable for what I want to add ?
I am thinking cause of the algae growth I want to add a sand sifting goby .
I seen one in the LFS and watching him eat the sand and sift it through his gills . Seamed very beneficial .
Would this be too much of a bio load at once ?
Thanks again .
__________________
Rmckoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Why do you think you need to dose vinegar? I would just get on a weekly water change regimen and enjoy your tank.
What algae is growing already? Brown diatoms? This is a natural occurrence and will come and go, goby or not.
You know, with just a FOWLR, you don't need to run the lights much. Fish only need to see to eat. You can limit the algae growth by limiting the light it's getting.

If you want to add 3 fish, I would add the 2 clowns, and then wait a couple weeks on the third fish. As far as the crabs, you can add them all at once. They don't bring much of a bio load.
Are you sure you have enough food to sustain 20 crabs? What size tank is this?


I also, would suggest waiting on the anemone for a while.
__________________

__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.