Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-03-2013, 04:45 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Lights...

I have a 48" Current Satellite light w/ 4 pairs of 21" bulbs, 2 pairs of 10k daylight & 2 pairs of actinic and a couple of LED moonlights.

I'm buying 1 pair of bulbs a week to spread out the cost. My LFS talked me into Deep Blue actinic. It makes my tank purple & the water clarity looks lower when just the blues are on. Yuck. My other actinic is dual & I like the look... however w/ daylights on as well, the coralline does really pop under the Deep Blue & it looks quite beautiful. Decisions, decisions... Any input anyone? I possibly may get some corals down the road, I haven't decided.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Anyone?? I still need help please...

Just went back to LFS, asked for 10k daylight. I was given Deep Blue 10k but it said Actinic 03 on the back of the box & they aren't much brighter than the just plain Actinics! So is the tank getting the 10k lumens but just not the brightness?? I can't find anything explaining what the diff is in 10k that appear bright or like mine that appear dark & blue. Thanks!

Old 07-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would use ATI blue plus, and ATI aquablue specials.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I would use ATI blue plus, and ATI aquablue specials.
Ok, thks! I'll look those up. Mine are power compacts w/ square pins. So is your tank mostly a blue hue even during the day? As in not really ever bright white.

Also, I finally found what was meant by my lights having a moon light... There's 3-4 LEDs. They are so not bright that my house has to be pitch black to remotely see them shining on the sand & even then they're hard to see. Do they need to be replaced?? Or should LEDs brightness last til they burn out?
Old 07-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had a satellite fixture as well with those moonlights. They are always extremely dim. I didn't even bother using mine since it was pointless. :-(
Old 07-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

i like the ati coarl plus instead of the aqua blue special, but its all preference
Old 07-29-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carey View Post
I had a satellite fixture as well with those moonlights. They are always extremely dim. I didn't even bother using mine since it was pointless. :-(
Thks, Carey! You're always so helpful! Maybe you can answer this for me... If LEDs are OK for corals in SW, why don't I hear more about people using LEDs for plants in FW??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosaj81 View Post
i like the ati coarl plus instead of the aqua blue special, but its all preference
Yeah, I imagine it is. I like to hear "Why." For example, I liked how my Current daylights appeared white. I'd say lookin' blue all day is probably a pref. Ugh. I hate the expensive learnin' curve of figurin' out what I like :\
Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

i believe the blue special is a little bit bluer then the coarl+ with my 4 bulb system i went with 2 ati blue+ 1 coral+ and one purple+ and i really like the colour.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Wait a second, I was under the impression you had the current T5 fixture. I don't think you can get those lamps for your fixture.
Old 07-30-2013, 12:11 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
Wait a second, I was under the impression you had the current T5 fixture. I don't think you can get those lamps for your fixture.
Ok, no prob. Yeah, I didn't say Power Compacts in the original post. My fixture is discontinued, I need to modernize but am not going to do that right yet. I want to see how I do & if I stick w/ this size SW tank for a year AND still like it in a year! HA!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com