LION fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlyG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Would it be safe to add a Lion fish to my tank?

55gal
45 LR

2 Damsels
2 Clown
1 Longnose Butterfly
1 Mandarin Dragonet
1 Royal Gramma

what do Lion fish eat, can I feed them mysis or brine? Are they difficult to take care of?

i have a lion in my 55... with 45lbs of lr... 3 damsals - 1-2" long.. a lawnmower blenny 4" long... and a clarkii almost 1 1/2"... oh and a pink tip anemone... the lion is 7" long... 13" spanning fins.. and wont look at the other guys.. just what i feed him =D.. Get him small and start hand feeding it.. he will only eat from you and leave the rest alone =P

Make sure your lr has lots of hiding spots for the first couple of days while the lion adjust.. and to give your other fish places to go.

Btw.. just fed him a balloon molly... that was bigger than the clarkii LOL but clarkii is still happily swimming around

I agree with Tony. I dont see any problem with the tank but some of your fish will be eaten. It`s just not a good match with what you have in the tank.

but its working =/

img_960587_0_9d82037cda16206bcaf7d511d6152377.jpg

It is working, but for how long is the question. Grand scheme of things your fish will eventually be eaten.

he is already over the size that he needs to be to eat them lol.. i just have good luck with that kind of stuff.. have 2 oscars... and small clown loaches in my freshy... nobody has been eaten... i say has been.. cause the tank is well over a year old lol

MichaelsLilGray: Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if I want to get one, after reading that a sting from a lion fish could kill a human. I am not sure if I want to take my chances with that one.

By the way, where did u get your LR, it is really cool with all the holes that the fish could swim in and out of. I order my LR online, I get the Fiji Rock and it ususally comes in smaller pieces.

Lionfish stings will not kill humans unless you are allergic, but the area will swell and redden feeling as if you were stung by several wasps.

I've been stung by a wide range of fish species, mainly when working in the field. I think my tally for lionfishes is three different species. They didn't exactly tickle, and were up there with the most painful stings I've had. However, mine were all from fairly small fish. I watched a friend get stung once by a large lionfish when he was handfeeding it, and he was in pain for a day or so. It (handfeeding) is not something I would advocate.

Tony

i had feed mine LOL as far as the lr, it wasnt live rock till it cultured.. it is texas holey rock, that has been in the tank for about a month and a half.. thats really all it takes to make something into lr

Back
Top Bottom