Lion fish care?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brennan32

Aquarium Advice Activist
This Saturday i am going to the LFS and am planning on getting a lion fish if one is available. But before i do i have some questions. What do you feed them? Will it eat current tank mates (chocolate chip star fish,coral beauty angelfish, common clownfish, emerald crab) and btw this is a 155G bow front tank. Also down the road i want to add a clown trigger,pufferfish of some kind,eel? Hippo tang. And a few anemones and such. Would all of these be compatible ? Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The lion will eat any fish that 1/2 of fits in its mouth IMO.
Mine swam around with my anthias sticking out of his mouth for days!

He was very well fed but must have really wanted the anthias as they are pretty fast, much faster then a clown (say good bye to him before you even add the lion!).

Last edited by a moderator:
The lion will eat any fish that 1/2 of fits in its mouth IMO.
Mine swan around with my anthias sticking out of his mouth for days!
He was very well fed but must have really wanted the anthias as they are pretty fast,much faster then a clown(say good bye to him before you even add the lion!).

What about a fuzzy dwarf lion? my clownfish dieing isn't an option as he is 11 years old and i would feel terrible

It would be one well aged snack. Lions should only be in predator tanks.

Alright thanks for the help i guess i will not be getting a lion fish for awhile then.

You could set up the Clown in a different/nano tank. Then develop the other awesome sized and shaped tank as you would like. (155G bowfront tank is dreamy, I will admit tank envy.)

You could set up the Clown in a different/nano tank. Then develop the other awesome sized and shaped tank as you would like. (155G bowfront tank is dreamy, I will admit tank envy.)

I have thought of that but the thing is i am new to saltwater. Only been in it for about a month and a half. So even though I haven't had any problems and everything in my tank looks great. I don't know if i could keep up with 2 saltwater tanks. And i got my whole setup off craigslist. So it was a preexisting tank which meant I didn't really have a cycle time.

Back
Top Bottom