lion fish questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coffeetwitch

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a 125, im wanting to stock with a lion fish. i was thinking about a volitan but im also wanting to keep 2 dwarf angels. im afraid that they would be in danger of getting eaten.

if this is a danger then can someone recommend another that would be more suited to live with the angels?

i also have a 40 gallon breeder, i was thinking about getting a fu manchu lionfish or a dwarf lionfish for this tank. any advice on that stocking concern?

A lionfish will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth, but I would be more concerned about the angels kiling each other. Unless you get a mated pair, it's usually not a good idea to have 2 pygmy angels in a tank.

i have a 125, im wanting to stock with a lion fish. i was thinking about a volitan but im also wanting to keep 2 dwarf angels. im afraid that they would be in danger of getting eaten.

if this is a danger then can someone recommend another that would be more suited to live with the angels?

i also have a 40 gallon breeder, i was thinking about getting a fu manchu lionfish or a dwarf lionfish for this tank. any advice on that stocking concern?

Jesse, really? Two angels??? You meant one for each tank, right? We've discussed this on my old threads way back when... lol:lol:... Just giving you a hard time. I wouldn't get any fish the doesn't get 7" with the lion. I'm rehoming my mandarin and yellow watchman for fear of their lives. But, maybe getting another tank where I can move the lion over, we shall see.

I've read that people have kept multiple dwarf angels in a 125 with great success. Its 6 feet long with lots of rock and plenty of room for territory. Non mated pairs and different species. Ive researched this.

I know a lion will eat what ever it can fit in its mouth. That's why I was asking if anyone knew of a lion fish with a smaller mouth than the volitan but shares similar look.

coffeetwitch said:
I've read that people have kept multiple dwarf angels in a 125 with great success. Its 6 feet long with lots of rock and plenty of room for territory. Non mated pairs and different species. Ive researched this.

I know a lion will eat what ever it can fit in its mouth. That's why I was asking if anyone knew of a lion fish with a smaller mouth than the volitan but shares similar look.

Most other lion fish are a bright red or orange. Maybe a radiant? And do you really wanna risk the two angels? Just get a larger angel or butterfly.

I've read that people have kept multiple dwarf angels in a 125 with great success. Its 6 feet long with lots of rock and plenty of room for territory. Non mated pairs and different species. Ive researched this. ....
Of course it's your choice, but....
The Pygmy Angelfishes by James Fatherree - Reefkeeping.com
"They tend to be quite territorial and, in most cases, two or more pygmy angels will not get along at all. This is especially true if more than one individual of the same species are kept together, which is often impossible in most tanks. They usually wind up endlessly harassing each other."

"Still, in large tanks (100+ gallons) with plenty of structures and hiding places, there’s a much greater chance of successfully keeping more than one pygmy angel. Individuals need to be able to avoid each other when they want to, so giving them plenty of room and shelter is the key. However, I do have to say that even in tanks this size, I’ve had some that just wouldn’t get along no matter what. Sometimes individuals can be particularly aggressive no matter how much space (i.e., territory) is provided. I’ll also add that if you do plan to try to keep more than one in a tank, it’s best to add all of them at the same time. As is the case with many other fishes, if only one is added first, it may decide that the whole tank is its domain, and be less likely to tolerate the addition of any other pygmies added later."

Thanks for the brief write up. I know I want a flame angel. Have since I got on the salty side. Just never found a store local that would stock them. Our local fish store said he is getting 2 in this week. I do not want to miss the opportunity to get one.

I'm txting with sweetie pie to see if she is cool with just getting one and trying to figure out the lionfish situation.

Yeah, but just remember, a lion will eat anything up to half it's body size. If the angel on gets 3", lion is 7-8. Bye bye angel.

Yes and no. More thought is required now. But it did answer a lot of possible questions and made mention of several good points that may have been overlooked

Back
Top Bottom