little neck clams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone ever tried these in the tank to control nitrates? The live ones from the grocery store.

Bought 6 about 2-3 weeks ago placed them in a bowl with SW and let them sit for 30-40 min till they opened up and sucked in some new water and got rid of the old water they had. Then I tossed them in my fuge, within 30 min they started to bury themselves and in a few hours they were gone. I dug them up the other day to make sure they are still alive and they were. You can see there foot sticking out of the sand if you look close...
I would not say they are cold water clams, they do have them in Fla and the bays in NY get warm in the summers. They look like the same clam that the sell on SWF for $4 a piece. I got 6 for under $2. someting different. I have not checked my NO3 yet to see where it is.... I will today

seaham358 said:
Bought 6 about 2-3 weeks ago placed them in a bowl with SW and let them sit for 30-40 min till they opened up and sucked in some new water and got rid of the old water they had. Then I tossed them in my fuge, within 30 min they started to bury themselves and in a few hours they were gone. I dug them up the other day to make sure they are still alive and they were. You can see there foot sticking out of the sand if you look close...
I would not say they are cold water clams, they do have them in Fla and the bays in NY get warm in the summers. They look like the same clam that the sell on SWF for $4 a piece. I got 6 for under $2. someting different. I have not checked my NO3 yet to see where it is.... I will today

Cool hope they work out for you...
I'm gonna order some of those other smaller ones and see what happes..
I need to deal with a cyno problem first though...

Well I bought 3 for a dollar on the off chance that they might be ok. They've been a bucket of tank water for about 15 hours now. Seem to be ok. Did some research last night and they live as far south as Texas. Optimum temp is 77 to 80. It said that if they sink they are alive so mine are. I think I'll drop them in the 20 and see how they do. If they die they will be easier to remove from the 20 and if they live I'll place them in the 90. That would be a great way to get rid of excess nitrate and food from the water column. Thanks guys. I think they also sell small ones on www.octopets.com . They sell them to feed to octopi and squid.

Back
Top Bottom