little white critters started to show up on my glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jester23

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone. I'm new to this and just set up a 20 gallon FOWLR tank which is in the fishless pure ammonia cycling process. I have a conern though. A friend of mine gave me a small piece of rock or dead coral to help me cycle the tank. I put it in and overnight, a ton of these little white critters started to show up on my glass. They are tiny. Are they parasites? Are they bad? Cool enough the dead coral has one small polyp on it. Will it make it through the cycle? Please help.

They are just pods I`m sure. All you are doing is curing your rock as you cycle the tank. Pretty good idea actually.

Thanks. I have a question. I'm not sure if i have a pest anemone or not. I will try to get pics up. If in fact it is...would it be a bad idea for my FOWLR anyways even though I have no coral?

If the pest anenome is aptasia, that's not good under any condition. Read up on it and see if that's whatcha got. And NEVER try to remove it by hand. It'll burst and become 25 more.

Thanks. I believe it is aptasia. I guess i will buy one of those solutions to kill them off. Thanks a lot.

I actually had a real issue with aptasia's. When we put in some LR, we had 3 large ones. My husband thought they were great. Well I finally decided to terminate them when they started to spread. I took some of the water from the tank and put it in the microwave....took it to boiling...used a syringe and squirt them. I had to do this to all the new ones that were already there, but they didn't spread because of the water....they had already spread. since killing them with the hot water, I haven't seen any in weeks. I have a 65 hex and had a ton thanks to the hubby.

Thanks. I seem to have killed them with some vinegar. I injected them and they havent resurfaced. I had two and now i have none. Hope thats it for now.

Back
Top Bottom