Little white lice-like organisms on tank wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a large FOWLR tank that finshed cycling about a month ago. I have been battling the brown algae stage for a few weeks.

I just noticed there are a bunch of lice-like small organisms which I do see moving around. They are actually only in the areas on the walls covered by the brown algae.

I have no idea what these are. If they are eating the algae that would be great (as long as they are not harmful).

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Pete R.

Sounds like pods of some sort. Very beneficial though I don't really think that they eat algae. Do you have a clean up crew in place yet? If not it sounds like it is time!

Phyl said:
Sounds like pods of some sort. Very beneficial though I don't really think that they eat algae. Do you have a clean up crew in place yet? If not it sounds like it is time!

I do not have a clean up crew in place yet because I am trying to decide what species will not become fish food. I will be putting some pretty aggressive species in this tank (eels, triggers, etc.).

It might be my imagination but it seems that they reduced the algae content on the walls of the tank. And as I mentioned, they are only in the areas where the algae is.

Thanks,
Pete R.

Back
Top Bottom