live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whitmi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have all of my equipment and am ready to start looking for LR - I've found some at themarinecenter.com for 2.99# plus $10 shipping to my Dallas home.

This is significantly cheaper than anywhere else - am I heading to disaster...has anyone bought from these people and had any luck? Or, is it infested with the "baddies" of the LR world? 8O

They sell nice stuff. YOu cannot beat tht price especially the shipping I would go for it.

If you look around here you won't see a shortage of people cheering for liverocks.com. They have a very good reputation for minimal die off and abundant life. I'm personally going to try them out next week. I'd suggest finding people that have purchased rock from themarinecenter.com and seeing what they thought of it.

Jim

Personally I had a terrible experience with Liveaquaria.com the rock is really nice, but I dont' think there is a single microb of life on those rocks. No worms, no pods, zilch. Oh well at least I can seed them. Good luck

So, any input on themarinecenter.com? Anyone else like liverocks.com?

I am a huge www.liverocks.com supporter. I keep finding new stuff
100% as well.. Its been 4-6 months and still I find new stuff everyday.. My wife was ok with it as well after she realized it wasnt just "Rock" I posted a bunch of pictures in the sponsor forum for liverocks.com.. dont mind the algae I am currently in a battle and I am Winning.. :lol: :D IMO you really cant get anything better than the liverocks.com stuff

HTH<
James

For $10 shipping, why not just order a small bit and see what you think. Is it Fiji rock or FL aquacultured rock?

I have gotten rock from liveaquaria, floridaliverock.com and liverocks.com. All was good. I got the most crabs and snails with the liverocks.com rock but I got more coralline algae and even plants on he rock from floridaliverock.com They came in the same box too :)

A friend of mine has reported tons of life on the fiji rock she got from premium aquatics. She has seen pods, crabs etc. I don't think my fiji rock had hardly anything on it except coralline algae. We are in IN so premium aquatics ships 1 day UPS ground.

I like the diversity I have with my rock :)

I will add that I did start seeing some worms extending from the rock to the sand and some other types of growth on my fiji after awhile, so it was not really lifeless. I just did not get any crabs, snails or starfish on it.

The FL rock is definately better in that respect. My fiji rock was covered in purple algae though.

I bought 45lbs of Fiji from the marine center and I will say that there was nothing on it in the way of critters. However, the 45lbs of rock and 30lbs of sand did come very quickly and the die off was nearly none because the tank cycled in a week and has been ultra stable since. I did not mind the absence of critters, that way I actually get to pick what goes into my tank, also the massive amount of coraline was far more valuable to me than things I have to worry about. For the price I thought it was a deal. JMO

Back
Top Bottom