Live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shortysteve23

Aquarium Advice Activist
120 g new lr don't have a spare tank to cycle rock ordered fastest way to put it in tank without harming fish and damaging rock?

Well base rock is dry and never "live". If you did not buy live rock then it is indeed base rock. You just wash this off in tank water to remove any dust or whatever and it can be placed directly in the tank.

Well nah this is live rock it was part of a 45 lbs purchase Fiji premium

Oh, then you need to cure it in a bucket of sw. Just leave it there for a few days so that anything that is dead, releases the ammonia in the bucket and the bacteria will turn it to nitrites then nitrates. If you put it directly into the tank, you will get a mini-cycle.

It was $130 but there are better deals. You should get an odyssea t5ho or metal halide light fixture. They're not much more and are REALLY nice.

I would stay away from the odyssea metal halides. I've used the t5's and they work well. There are many mixed reviews of the MH's though. They are also not CL certified. :-(

Yep, how big is the tank? I'm sure theres something out there for you

Your tank is only 42 inches in length? Thats gonna be interesting to find something for lol.
You also will need a strong light fixture to penetrate the 24" depth. What are your plans for corals and the such?

Well right now I have about 115 lbs of lr and I'm trying to ride that out for a while and maybe a few corals along the lines u have to have it set up for a while right? I only had it for a few months. Can I see your tank and what would u suggest for 42-24

If he has a 42" tank the 48" MH will not fit from odyssea. If he got a 36" it might not be enough AND it could melt one of the support beams, if he has one.

In total honesty, I would avoid these fixtures if you can, I know the price is super cheap but you really do get what you pay for. The 2 T5 odyssea fixtures I have/had were very reliable but also very cheap. The newer T5 setups are pretty tinny and cheaply made.

Have you checked into a pendant system maybe? You could hang 2 MH fixtures?

Back
Top Bottom