Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Fish Only & FOWLR
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Live rock

Where does live rock come from? When its taken does it destroy reefs?

Old 03-05-2004, 01:33 AM   #2
cj10488

Quote:
Where does live rock come from?
It comes from various parts of our ocean depending on the actual LR itself..

Quote:
When its taken does it destroy reefs?
Yes it does.. Slowly but it does.. Unless its the Aquacultured stuff that Liverocks.com sells.. The aquacultured stuff is placed in the ocean and Is basically a man made reef.. It stays there for a while and inherits all sorts of new creatures and such therefor becoming LR..

HTH<
James
Old 03-05-2004, 05:28 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
When its taken does it destroy reefs?
That is highly debatable, alot depends on where the LR is taken from, it is supposed to be taked from the sandy areas, which is LR that has been knocked off the reef structure by storms and wave action. Also non=aquacultured LR is a renewable resource. However, I am sure that in some 3rd world countries that are feeding their people with the export of LR....they have played fast and loose with the rules governing it's collection.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

ya that is what I was going to say reef. It does grow back ,but like much tree's if you harvest till the forest is desimated it will take a really long time.If you take only a portion it heals quickly I am sure.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:49 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
There are many orginizations out there working to establish proper collecting and farming practices in the third world countries alot of the 'wild' rock comes from. Any FL aquaculture rock you get is 100% guarinteed to not come from a wild reef. Aquaculture rock is rock that has been intentally placed in specific plots of ocean space and let to 'grow' for a few years and then is collected and sold.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 10:09 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
i have aquacultured LR, and i was extrememly happy with it. i thought it was as good as, if not better than non aquacultured LR my friend received. since most aquacultured LR comes from around here (ie FL) it has less stress on the inverts and algae than stuff coming from far away. i would personally reccommend aquacultured. i dont condone taking anything out of its natural habitat, especially one as precariously situated as a coral reef.

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com